Carpenter Upgraded, So Excited

Hubguru

It's Throttle Time!
Ride
2017 Rocket III Roadster, 2012 Kopavi V8 Trike
What Up Folks,

I can barley contain myself, my R3R is in transit back to me freshly upgraded from Carpenter Racing with a 210+ HP kit and Trans Upgrade. Check out this dyno:
Triumph_Carpenter_Dyno.jpg

Wow, just wow! I'm in the 200 HP club now folks! I will report back after first ride, haul-bikes can't get here soon enough.

JR

A couple of questions, did you ship your bike from Texas to NJ and back? What does that cost?
How long were you without your bike, start to finish?
1) I hauled my bike from Dallas to NJ, I was in PA area visiting family, cost for gas was around $550. Ford F150 towing 12 foot box trailer.
2) Haulbikes quote shipping from Dallas to NJ was $1000. Shipping from NJ to Dallas cost $673. Not sure why the differential cost.
3) Dropped bike of end of Oct, was ready for pickup end of Dec.

OK Folks, got my bike back and took a quick ride, no time for an extended trip to open her up yet. The power band moved up in RPM as expected. Before with ramair, high flow exhaust slip-on and dyno tuned, the bike performed well at 140hp and 155 tq with power band hitting hard a bit over 3K RPM. Now the power band starts hitting at 4K RPM and climbs steady through 6K RPM. I feel the back tire breaking loose at 6K RPM in 1st, 2nd, and I think 3rd gear. Can't wait to get it out on an open road and play in the 6-7.5K RPM range, that should be fairly ridiculous.

Carpenter did the transmission upgrade with billet 4'th gear and undercut with heavier clutch springs. Immediately felt the clutch pull requires more effort, not bad but noticeable. The gear engagement is rock solid and no issues finding neutral, don't have to rock the bike back and forward like I did before. I did a speed shift 1-2-3 and it felt great.

I chose the sidewinder exhaust pipe and also had it polished, it's a work of art and aesthetically pleasing, matches the bike well. The exhaust note with the baffle out is a bit much, but with the baffle in decibels decreased and I was comfortable with just helmet over my ears, no plugs needed.

At this point, I'm just going to ride it and get used to the shift in power band and enjoy the HP increase on the top end. If I experience anything else noteworthy, I'll follow up with comments. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Overall I am very pleased with the upgrade and would recommend the 200+ kit from Carpenter.

Thanks.

JR

Before with ramair, high flow exhaust slip-on and dyno tuned, the bike performed well at 140hp and 155 tq with power band hitting hard a bit over 3K RPM. Now the power band starts hitting at 4K RPM and climbs steady through 6K RPM.

I chose the sidewinder exhaust pipe and also had it polished, it's a work of art and aesthetically pleasing, matches the bike well. The exhaust note with the baffle out is a bit much, but with the baffle in decibels decreased and I was comfortable with just helmet over my ears, no plugs needed.
Funny I was called a liar when I posted my numbers after a tune at 140hp and 154 tq, seems my current and your previous set ups were almost identical after the tune.

Do they gave you two tunes, one for open and one for baffled? Do you know when they tuned the bike did it have the baffle in or out?

Sounds like you have a monster now, good for a wide open blast or an extended road trip.

Funny I was called a liar when I posted my numbers after a tune at 140hp and 154 tq, seems my current and your previous set ups were almost identical after the tune.

Do they gave you two tunes, one for open and one for baffled? Do you know when they tuned the bike did it have the baffle in or out?

Sounds like you have a monster now, good for a wide open blast or an extended road trip.
Carpenter tuned the bike with the baffle out. I had to ask for a baffle when I got the bike back and he shipped me one. I asked Bob if inserting the baffle would require a re-tune, he reported definitively no, might drop a couple HP off the top end with baffle inserted but the ride would not 'feel' any different. I'm certain he knows. The baffle really has no restriction the inner tube is just a finely perforated cylinder and there is no platting in the air flow, it's really wide open, I was quite surprised the decibels dropped as much as they did. I strongly recommed the baffle for around-town riding.

Last edited:
Carpenter tuned the bike with the baffle out. I had to ask for a baffle when I got the bike back and he shipped me one. I asked Bob if inserting the baffle would require a re-tune, he reported definitively no, might drop a couple HP off the top end with baffle inserted but the ride would not 'feel' any different. I'm certain he knows. The baffle really has no restriction the inner tube is just a finely perforated cylinder and there is no platting in the air flow, it's really wide open, I was quite surprised the deciles dropped as much as they did. I strongly recommed the baffle for around-town riding.
Good!! Open exhaust does get to be a bit much, I used to like it years ago but not so much now.

Congratulations on the new build!!!

Back