Carpenter sidewinder on classic/standard

geneseo1911

Naturally Aspirated
Ride
2007 Rocket Classic, 2018 Rocket Roadster
Anybody seen a sidewinder system on a classic or standard? I'm wondering if it's compatible with the more forward location of the brake on the older model. Of course if i got one and it isn't I'd have a good excuse to upgrade to a roadster.

I'd like to get a system, and i like the looks of the sidewinder best of what's available, as well as the proven power. Not as crazy about the looks of the brute system.

2nd choice would be the ces or the Viking. It looks like pauls system may be the most compatible with the early controls, but i prefer the look of the larger primaries. Ces has always been SO expensive, but it looks like the us dollar has improved to where they would be competitive.

Any of these systems will be getting close to 50% of my purchase for the whole **** bike.

So which of the aforementioned 3 headers works best on the older bikes assuming asbestos pants are not an option?

I m still running stock exhaust so I can not help you. You could come to the RAA next week and see what some others are running on there bike. The RAA is at Spearfish, SD So this is just a Bump De Bump Bump Bump :eek::p:D

2005 here and the sidewinders fit perfectly. The pipe that comes out closest to your leg is very close. I have had it wrapped to keep some of the heat away. The pipes have turned gold and I hope they stay this way as it looks good against the orange. There are a couple of little spots that are blue but are hidden.

Anybody seen a sidewinder system on a classic or standard? I'm wondering if it's compatible with the more forward location of the brake on the older model. Of course if i got one and it isn't I'd have a good excuse to upgrade to a roadster.

I'd like to get a system, and i like the looks of the sidewinder best of what's available, as well as the proven power. Not as crazy about the looks of the brute system.

2nd choice would be the ces or the Viking. It looks like pauls system may be the most compatible with the early controls, but i prefer the look of the larger primaries. Ces has always been SO expensive, but it looks like the us dollar has improved to where they would be competitive.

Any of these systems will be getting close to 50% of my purchase for the whole **** bike.

So which of the aforementioned 3 headers works best on the older bikes assuming asbestos pants are not an option?

2005 here and the sidewinders fit perfectly. The pipe that comes out closest to your leg is very close. I have had it wrapped to keep some of the heat away. The pipes have turned gold and I hope they stay this way as it looks good against the orange. There are a couple of little spots that are blue but are hidden.

Thanks Mark. How close are you talking? Could i talk you into a picture? Did you wrap the whole header or just that section of pipe?

I'd love to go to raa, but it's just not gonna happen this year. The timing works out, but it's just too far. 1000 miles from here. Gonna have to have a better seat and some butt training before i can do that kind of distance.

I'll try to get a picture tonight. I have installed Kuryakyn floor boards and this will get your leg slightly away from the pipe but if you have stock pegs there wouldn't be much room between the 2. The wrap is just around the section of concern and it helps quite a bit.

My cam chain tensioner came loose during riding Saturday and stranded me so the bike is at the shop. They stated normally when this happens it will bend valves. We'll see. I'll try to stop by and get a couple of pictures.

It is a louder being it is a straight pipe but it is not over powering. Kind of has a low tuba sound to it.

Thanks Mark. How close are you talking? Could i talk you into a picture? Did you wrap the whole header or just that section of pipe?

I'd love to go to raa, but it's just not gonna happen this year. The timing works out, but it's just too far. 1000 miles from here. Gonna have to have a better seat and some butt training before i can do that kind of distance.

Mine is on a roadster, not sure of the difference between clearances of classic to roadster.
One of the best investments I have made.
Added hp to the look to the sound.
Plus the comments are cool.
You'll loose around 35lbs taking the factory off. There are no tunes for carpenters.
I added sidewinder, 3-kn pods left the secondaries in and had a custom map installed. 148hp and 215 torque to the ground now, per dyno

Attachments

• 20160714_085011.jpg
    20160714_085011.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 1
Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

I'll try to get a picture tonight. I have installed Kuryakyn floor boards and this will get your leg slightly away from the pipe but if you have stock pegs there wouldn't be much room between the 2. The wrap is just around the section of concern and it helps quite a bit.

My cam chain tensioner came loose during riding Saturday and stranded me so the bike is at the shop. They stated normally when this happens it will bend valves. We'll see. I'll try to stop by and get a couple of pictures.

It is a louder being it is a straight pipe but it is not over powering. Kind of has a low tuba sound to it.

Thank you so much mark. You're right the golden color looks AWESOME with the orange paint. That is a sweet bike; sorry to hear about your trouble with it. How many miles? Let us know how you come out on it.

So if you were doing it again you would still buy the sidewinders? I have a classic with factory floorboards and a big brake pedal, but i do like to be able to tuck my legs in tight when I'm doing something stupid. Sounds like that's gonna put me in contact with the pipe?

That header looks SO good though.

3800 miles. Got it with 2000 miles. We found out that the manual cam chain tensioner backed out and wasn't tight. He is going to tear into it next week to see if any of the valves are bent. I guess I ask why did it back out as there was a lock nut on the outside as shown in the picture.

Thank you so much mark. You're right the golden color looks AWESOME with the orange paint. That is a sweet bike; sorry to hear about your trouble with it. How many miles? Let us know how you come out on it.

So if you were doing it again you would still buy the sidewinders? I have a classic with factory floorboards and a big brake pedal, but i do like to be able to tuck my legs in tight when I'm doing something stupid. Sounds like that's gonna put me in contact with the pipe?

That header looks SO good though.

Back