Carbon Fiber Wheels for R3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just A Word Of Caution

Don't mean to rain on the parade... but do you remember Palatina ? Yes, the German pioneer who supplies complete "spezial" Rocket III, pics of which were posted here and there 2 years ago or so (and one of my suppliers for carbon fiber mods). Well, at that time, Palatina had already experimented with home-baked carbon fiber wheels for the Rocket... only to conclude that:

1. The front rim needed steel (as opposed to carbon) spokes to withstand the weight of the beast (and that's the way he displayed his spezial Rocket III on various shows and on internet)
2. NO carbon or even hybrid carbon+metal rear wheel would endure the Rocket's mass and power. When we met, he (Herr Rebholz, who runs Palatina) also hinted to me that for a carbon rear wheel to cope with these two Rocket peculiarities, it would end up looking a lot beefier than the OEM unit... and, therefore, probably not much lighter...

Jamie

Last edited:
The Palatina wheels were prototypes made by DyMag, with CF rims only... steel spokes. The director of BST is confident of his engineers' ability to produce wheels for R3 street use.

In the future, I'll keep my innovations; tunes, wheels, intake systems, et al, at the other forum.

Good day,
hombre

Hombre, your ref to Dymag is correct. Palatina actually farm out all the carbon stuff that shows as Palatina-made on the Rocket III "RS" to various fiber producers. If Palatina and, even more so, Dymag , after months of R&D, have expressed doubts about their ability to produce... durable carbon wheels for the Rocket (and wheels that would meet the stringent German TÜV road homologation requirements, BTW), I thought that these doubts were worthy of being aired on this forum. I did not say anything about BST's own ability, did I ?.

It's just an EXCHANGE of info, hombre. PLEASE, refrain from pouting. Jamie;)

Hombre, I am all for new products and innovations with the Rocket but please expect some discussion and don't become upset when asked questions; a condescending attitude doesn't help matters either. $3500 represents a significant portion of the price of a new Rocket. Before you take your ball and go home why don't you introduce yourself in the meet the members and partake in some of the discussion, apparently we have a lot to learn from you, sorry we didn't realize that sooner.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Talk about potholes. Here in the Wolverine we have potholes so deep you need your highbeams to see over the rim on the other side.

I don't need carbon fiber wheels, I need soild wheels, soild steel blanks.:D

I would take a pair if some nice poster here would buy me a set.......:)

I'm going to E-bay to get some carbon wheels, and Rusty, you better not out bid me. I'm going to put um on, ride to meet Pastor Freak and do some stoppies with my reduced inertial mass. What up, Hombre, lighten up, all in fun.

Do you have a link to the EBay auction Raymond :D....

This went to **** fast and I never had a chance to ***** about spelling or anything....

Hardly two words are spoken from Hombre since he joined last December, until he wants our purchasing power to help him meet a minimum order. Then, when presented with a question, gets huffy and leaves but not before reminding us, of all we are missing, by not noticing his contributions. This elitism is an example why R3owners.net was born.

Have I thanked you lately Tomo for creating R3owners.net.:bch:

Now I think I shouldn't have edited my comments. I felt like I was pooping on a guy who was trying to help everyone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back