I did a valve adjustment at 25,000 miles. Now sitting at 42,000 miles and valve cover gasket still looks like it was done yesterday. Did remove throttle bodies, Gas tank and had a clear shot at it. Took some time and insured that gasket area was cleaned and oil free. Torqued it down slowly and evenly. It can be done with a little patience. Even at your first attempt.:):):):):):):):)

CAUTION

@warp9.9 actually looked at the book, and I looked at my book, and loe and behold, they disagree.

At least from '10 (the manual at @idk 's signature block), the figure is 12 Newton-meters.

Last edited:
DoH !

@warp9.9 actually looked at the book, and I proved as a male over 40, can't remember diddlysquat any more.

TEN is the number, and the number shall me TEN.

NOT nine, NOT eleven, but TEN (10) Newton-meters [88 1/2 inch-pounds]
I must have the older version then....il have to get an up to date copy. Thanks @Joesmoe and @warp9.9 !

I must have the older version then....il have to get an up to date copy. Thanks @Joesmoe and @warp9.9 !
Na his is for the 2014 and the ones I posted are from the 2005 model. Then I verified on the PDF manual IDK has which was the first to list the touring with the regular Rockets. I doubt they change That Number as they never had a bolt problem.

Something that could make it easier is taking the tank off and setting aside on the ground where you can't muss it up by accident.
Easier still is kidnapping a man who can wipe blind and reads manuals - and force feed him Mrs B's oven rice until he pleads for mercy and does it all for you. That would even warrant new cams at the same time.

Just a note to anyone watching, the torque spec for the valve cover bolts, at least from '10 forward, is 12 Newton-meters.

Interesting thing though, don't know how much it matters.

I incrementally tightened mine - turning and turning to the initial figure of 5 Newton-meters.

Then I went to 9, and then to 12.

In practice, I did not see any movement after the torque to 5, so I doubt there is any significant difference between 10 and 12.

Just a note to anyone watching, the torque spec for the valve cover bolts, at least from '10 forward, is 12 Newton-meters.

Interesting thing though, don't know how much it matters.

I incrementally tightened mine - turning and turning to the initial figure of 5 Newton-meters.

Then I went to 9, and then to 12.

In practice, I did not see any movement after the torque to 5, so I doubt there is any significant difference between 10 and 12.
Lol. Well mine are now at 10nm! When I retorque after my week in the Black Hills, i will retorque to 12nm.

Back