scot in exile

Living Legend
Ride
2011 Rocket
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Alright I replaced the leaking cam cover gasket, easy job will pass along a few tips to make it a wee bit easier for anyone else doing it.

- When the new gasket arrives (if you ordered it online) take it out of the package and leave it for a good day to uncurl as they just ram it in the package.

- Did not have to remove the tank you can if you want to but no need.

First pic shows where the gadget was leaking from, the most common area is at cylinder 1.

- Second pic tie wire all the loose wires under your tank and get them pulled up out of the way, at the left of the photo is a bracket which holds two lines remove the bracket it gives you about another 8mm does not seem like much but it really does help, remove number one and two spark plug wires from the coil; that gives you more room also.

- Clean any old sealer or any anything stuck on the surface take your time and do a good job

- Where the gasket wraps around the bolt hole at cylinder 1, the surface was a wee bit rough on the inside.
I used a high power suction tube(wife's dyson), and filed the mating surface smooth.

- Applied some good quality gasket sealer (just a drop at various places) and installed the cover.

Do a few dry runs before you install the gasket. The cover does not just come straight out, you have to play with it a little.
If you still have the stock intake on order a new system ram air K$N whatever do not try and put the stock air plenum back on

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Alright I replaced the leaking cam cover gasket, easy job will pass along a few tips to make it a wee bit easier for anyone else doing it
When the new gasket arrives. if you ordered it online take it out the package and leave it for a good day to uncurl as they just ram it in the package
Did not have to remove the tank you can if you want to but no need.
First pic shows where the gadget was leaking from, the most common area is at cyl 1
Sec pic tie wire all the loose wires under your tank and get them pulled up out of the way, at the left of the photo is a bracket which holds two lines remove the bracket it gives you about another 8mm does not seem like much but it really does help, remove number one and two spark plug wires from the coil that gives you more room also.
Clean any old sealer or any anything stuck on the surface take your time and do a good job
Where the gasket wraps around the bolt hole at cyl 1. the surface was a wee bit rough on the inside I used a high power suction tube(wife's dyson) and filed it smooth applied some good quality gasket sealer, just a drop at various places and installed the cover.
Do a few dry runs before you install the gasket the cover does not just come straight out you have to play with it a little
If you still have the stock intake on order a new system ram air K$N what ever do not try and put the stock back on

had this done recently from dealer; thankfully was still under warranty

Scot in Exile, Thanks for the write-up and photos, this just happened to me this week. You give me incentive to replace this myself! Cheers!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Alright I replaced the leaking cam cover gasket, easy job will pass along a few tips to make it a wee bit easier for anyone else doing it.

- When the new gasket arrives (if you ordered it online) take it out of the package and leave it for a good day to uncurl as they just ram it in the package.

- Did not have to remove the tank you can if you want to but no need.

First pic shows where the gadget was leaking from, the most common area is at cylinder 1.

- Second pic tie wire all the loose wires under your tank and get them pulled up out of the way, at the left of the photo is a bracket which holds two lines remove the bracket it gives you about another 8mm does not seem like much but it really does help, remove number one and two spark plug wires from the coil; that gives you more room also.

- Clean any old sealer or any anything stuck on the surface take your time and do a good job

- Where the gasket wraps around the bolt hole at cylinder 1, the surface was a wee bit rough on the inside.
I used a high power suction tube(wife's dyson), and filed the mating surface smooth.

- Applied some good quality gasket sealer (just a drop at various places) and installed the cover.

Do a few dry runs before you install the gasket. The cover does not just come straight out, you have to play with it a little.
If you still have the stock intake on order a new system ram air K$N whatever do not try and put the stock air plenum back on

Looks like a 243 lift, 330 duration cam lobe in that third pic. A I'm also betten the gaps a little big on the fourth plug from the front. ;)

Fred your eyes must be on the way out:eek: Helen Keller could tell you that it is a 242.5 lift with a 329 15/16" duration cam lope:D update on the exhaust still as busy as a Friday night dockside whore but I do have them boxed just have to get them to the postie. (you were correct about the gap)

Back