buying pre-2010 Rockets

Hey all, new guy here.

Short story
3 weeks ago I didn't even know this bike existed. Started out looking for an Indian scout and noticed one of these beauties on ebay. Since then I've test rode both bikes and the power of this thing at first scared the crap out of me, but then I got this evil grin. I can take over the world with it.

Anyway to the point, Since my ride, i have read and watched probably everything I can possibly find on this bike. Unfortunately, when I looked at the reliability, I hear this brand has quite a few issues with transmissions popping out of gear, oil leaks in very bad places, starting, idling issues, etc...I've read about a kit that fixed some of it, though I can't find such a thing I could buy in case I had problems (I usually do my own wrench turning). I also hear most of these issues were solved after 2010. Don't know if there is any truth to that because I find anything specific.

The dilemma is I'm seeing some great looking buys such as the 2006 classic that are just loaded with everything. Or I can buy a nice used 2012 roadster or so that comes with practically nothing and will leave me broke. Should I be worried about buying an older bike? Would be worth it? Is there a way to tell if that kit has been installed? Am I just overthinking this?
Hey Danvitt, I am on my fourth and favorite rocket ,2006 classic, had previously bought an 08 standard new, it would pop out of 2nd,had an 08 touring 0 issues, just couldn't get comfortable on it. This 06 has 13000 miles and is a lot better than the one I bought new.

Danvitt...
<
Aside from the abs and riding position, do you notice much difference riding the newer model?
>

I've added TORs to the '11 but don't feel a huge difference in performance over the '06. I do prefer the more upright position of the Roadster personally, but the '06 position is nicer for longer rides (and some taller folks might prefer it for daily riding too). The ABS was the biggest deciding factor for me.

I've not sat on one of the newer Touring models, so not sure how the '06 compares in riding position to those, but suspect it's somewhere between the Touring and a Roadster- hopefully someone will chime in who knows for certain. The '06 is definitely not stretched out like many of the Harley bikes I see.

I like that both the '06 and '11 Roadster can go from a touring setup and back very easily. When not road tripping my Roadster is stripped down and sports a single seat, but quickly converts to a touring design with accessories when needed.

Btw, I just ran the Roadster from western NC to Baton Rouge, LA (~780 miles) and back. I did the return trip in one day and can say that the Roadster was more comfortable than the 2013 BMW R1200RT I had before I got the Rockets.

Spend the time to find which model suits you and I guarantee you'll be very happy with your Rocket 3. It's a fantastic machine.

I hear you - but specifically Nevs cams fitted by a known mechanic (which seems to be the case) would be an exception. If the ruddy homologation rules (esp emissions) here were not such a royal PITA - I would have fitted his cams. Every 2 years I have to put the whole thing "stock" to get it through. Pipes and ECU are no big task - Cams would be.

Thanks for that information. All part of being a newb to the Rocket world.... still, I don't know good from bad and or right from wrong. But thanks to info from you and other members here, I'm learning :)

I like that both the '06 and '11 Roadster can go from a touring setup and back very easily. When not road tripping my Roadster is stripped down and sports a single seat, but quickly converts to a touring design with accessories when needed.
This is why I chose it as well. If I were single I'd probably have a sports bike but since I'm not, I'm not allowed. Wife says she don't want her butt sticking up in the air! I found this one and I'm thinking finally! they made a cruiser with some performance! So I'll be happy and hopefully she will too if the roadster is comfortable enough. I tried to offer her her own bike but she not interested. Glad to hear longer trips can be comfortable. Won't have the option of trying out different models but whatever the case, I'll make it work.

This is why I chose it as well. If I were single I'd probably have a sports bike but since I'm not, I'm not allowed. Wife says she don't want her butt sticking up in the air! I found this one and I'm thinking finally! they made a cruiser with some performance! So I'll be happy and hopefully she will too if the roadster is comfortable enough. I tried to offer her her own bike but she not interested. Glad to hear longer trips can be comfortable. Won't have the option of trying out different models but whatever the case, I'll make it work.

There ya go! Whatever you end up with, just make it fit you :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, my wife prefers the ride on back of the Rocket (Corbin seat) over the R1200RT. Speaking of sport bikes, I had a speed triple and sold it before the inevitable. The R3 is just as much fun but is happy cruising responsibly as well. I really enjoy the fact that most people, including other riders, don't know about this bike and completely surprised to see a "cruiser" move like that. Get the "floor board" foot pegs for your wife. They are more comfortable and help shield heat from the exhaust. Try to resist the urge to show off the special attributes of this particular cruiser to your wife and she'll support your decision.

life-is-short-buy-the-****-motorcycle.jpg
Oh that rules...

Back