buying pre-2010 Rockets

Danvitt

.060 Over
Ride
2013 Roadster
Hey all, new guy here.

Short story
3 weeks ago I didn't even know this bike existed. Started out looking for an Indian scout and noticed one of these beauties on ebay. Since then I've test rode both bikes and the power of this thing at first scared the crap out of me, but then I got this evil grin. I can take over the world with it.

Anyway to the point, Since my ride, i have read and watched probably everything I can possibly find on this bike. Unfortunately, when I looked at the reliability, I hear this brand has quite a few issues with transmissions popping out of gear, oil leaks in very bad places, starting, idling issues, etc...I've read about a kit that fixed some of it, though I can't find such a thing I could buy in case I had problems (I usually do my own wrench turning). I also hear most of these issues were solved after 2010. Don't know if there is any truth to that because I find anything specific.

The dilemma is I'm seeing some great looking buys such as the 2006 classic that are just loaded with everything. Or I can buy a nice used 2012 roadster or so that comes with practically nothing and will leave me broke. Should I be worried about buying an older bike? Would be worth it? Is there a way to tell if that kit has been installed? Am I just overthinking this?

Hey all, new guy here.
The dilemma is I'm seeing some great looking buys such as the 2006 classic that are just loaded with everything. Or I can buy a nice used 2012 roadster or so that comes with practically nothing and will leave me broke. Should I be worried about buying an older bike? Would be worth it? Is there a way to tell if that kit has been installed? Am I just overthinking this?

Receipts should help and service records but often gone with more than one prior owner. @Steel or @warp9.9 recently posted the models, serial numbers of the before and after factory modifications in the pre ABS R3s which were largely all done by the tome the 2010 Roadster came out.

I recently bought a 2006 classic with 131,000 miles, and this weekend rode to the Texas Hill Country and back with a few other R3 riders. It currently has 133,500 miles and still runs great. Reliability seems good to me. :D
If you get the serial number, and call Triumph they can tell you if it's been updated. If you want one update from the factory look for a 2008 Vin higher than 337294 or newer.

Hi Danvitt.

I had the same thing when I first rode a rocket crapped my pants in both directions.
Only rode it about four miles.
Within 12 months I brought one took about 8 weeks to get use to the power but what fun to ride.

Hey Danvitt , welcome from England .
If you go 2010 and above you get the benefit of ABS which I wouldn't want to be without on a bike this size ! Plus gremlins sorted and imho a better riding position . :thumbsup:

Hey all, new guy here.

Short story
3 weeks ago I didn't even know this bike existed. Started out looking for an Indian scout and noticed one of these beauties on ebay. Since then I've test rode both bikes and the power of this thing at first scared the crap out of me, but then I got this evil grin. I can take over the world with it.

Anyway to the point, Since my ride, i have read and watched probably everything I can possibly find on this bike. Unfortunately, when I looked at the reliability, I hear this brand has quite a few issues with transmissions popping out of gear, oil leaks in very bad places, starting, idling issues, etc...I've read about a kit that fixed some of it, though I can't find such a thing I could buy in case I had problems (I usually do my own wrench turning). I also hear most of these issues were solved after 2010. Don't know if there is any truth to that because I find anything specific.

SIMPLE buy an 09 or newer that way you get all the latest upgeades and youll be trouble free

life-is-short-buy-the-****-motorcycle.jpg

Back