buying pre-2010 Rockets

Yeah, but you are sloooow!
Clint slow? That must be a different EastexRIII you're talking about.

I used to think ABS was an unnecessary luxury. Since I ride in the rain quite often I know for a fact that is untrue. When I ride my 05 rocket in the rain I am very careful smooth and deliberate about starting and stopping. When I ride the Thunderbird abs there is no difference between wet and dry. Yes I can live without ABS but I don't have to be as careful (fearful) with it.

I have been riding an 05 for several years now and have had zero problems other than a leaky fork seal. In fact I am looking hard at an 06 a little more dolled up and with less miles. I say "GO FOR IT".

Hey all, new guy here.

Short story
3 weeks ago I didn't even know this bike existed. Started out looking for an Indian scout and noticed one of these beauties on ebay. Since then I've test rode both bikes and the power of this thing at first scared the crap out of me, but then I got this evil grin. I can take over the world with it.

Anyway to the point, Since my ride, i have read and watched probably everything I can possibly find on this bike. Unfortunately, when I looked at the reliability, I hear this brand has quite a few issues with transmissions popping out of gear, oil leaks in very bad places, starting, idling issues, etc...I've read about a kit that fixed some of it, though I can't find such a thing I could buy in case I had problems (I usually do my own wrench turning). I also hear most of these issues were solved after 2010. Don't know if there is any truth to that because I find anything specific.

The dilemma is I'm seeing some great looking buys such as the 2006 classic that are just loaded with everything. Or I can buy a nice used 2012 roadster or so that comes with practically nothing and will leave me broke. Should I be worried about buying an older bike? Would be worth it? Is there a way to tell if that kit has been installed? Am I just overthinking this?

My 08 R3 Touring is a steal and mechanically sound. The transmissions were upgraded this year.

Back