Anomaly

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
So I bought some larger bags for my R3T and am going to buy some paint to match them. My painter said to be on the safe side he'll need a quart of each paint. I've seen several threads where painters have been able to match closely the factory paint, and how PPG color codes don't quite work.

One suggestion has been Colorite paint as their match is spot on. Buying a quart of paint for both Cranberry Red, it's base, and Phantom Black and it's base is nearly $900 in paint. I'm not opposed to spending a little money, but it just seems wrong to pay almost twice the price of the bags to get them painted.

Anyone have any other suggestions on where I can buy the paint before I place this order?

P.S. www.touchupdirect.com another suggestion doesn't seem to sell the base paint.

1) You shouldn't have any problem matching paint with PPG
2) 1 quart each for the color (base coat) is absolute BS - 1 pint color is plenty
3) Black doesn't have a "base" - The black IS the base. This is called a 2 stage paint (base coat, clear coat - Black being the base)
4) You need a primer/sealer first - so you'll need primer & primer hardener $$$
Then your black base coat(s) (color), then your clear coat(s) $$$
5)The red may actually be a 3 stage (I'm not sure) being 1.base color (red), 2.pearlesent color, 3.clear coat $$$
So, primer & hardener. Base color & reducer. Clear coat & hardener & depending on the system he's using may also have a reducer.
the $$$$$$ add up for all these primers, colors, reducers, hardeners & clearcoat

I hope this clears it up for you. Yea, it's expensive to paint something right :(

If you can get those spray cans from touchup in the colors you want, It's pre mixed, ready to spray. that would save you a lot of $$$

Unfortunately, from my research that is not what I have found. The current paint manufacture for Triumph is Standox and DuPont has said they cannot match using Standox codes as Standox uses ingredients which are not allowed in US paints because of some gov. regulation. I've heard PPG aslo is not able to match the EU Standox paint.

I've had a friend's best painter at his chain of body shop's look at my paint job when I was looking to purchase a trunk a few months ago. I know for certain, the Cranberry Red is a 3 part paint (Base, Top, Clear) and I know a white or off-white primer is recommended for it.

I really dont know anything about Phantom Black, however. I do believe looking at the black, that it is also a pearlescent paint. (It's not gloss black, it's also a glitter-like paint)

I've also thought a quart of both was a bit excessive especially considering the bag is mostly red, but I'm going to add a fairing in the future so extra paint isn't a bad idea.

My painter also only requires the vehicle specific paints, he's going to provide the primers and clear coat as he won't warranty other primers and clear coats.

1) You shouldn't have any problem matching paint with PPG
2) 1 quart each for the color (base coat) is absolute BS - 1 pint color is plenty
3) Black doesn't have a "base" - The black IS the base. This is called a 2 stage paint (base coat, clear coat - Black being the base)
4) You need a primer/sealer first - so you'll need primer & primer hardener $$$
Then your black base coat(s) (color), then your clear coat(s) $$$
5)The red may actually be a 3 stage (I'm not sure) being 1.base color (red), 2.pearlesent color, 3.clear coat $$$
So, primer & hardener. Base color & reducer. Clear coat & hardener & depending on the system he's using may also have a reducer.
the $$$$$$ add up for all these primers, colors, reducers, hardeners & clearcoat

I hope this clears it up for you. Yea, it's expensive to paint something right :(

If you can get those spray cans from touchup in the colors you want, It's pre mixed, ready to spray. that would save you a lot of $$$

Unfortunately, from my research that is not what I have found. The current paint manufacture for Triumph is Standox and DuPont has said they cannot match using Standox codes as Standox uses ingredients which are not allowed in US paints because of some gov. regulation. I've heard PPG aslo is not able to match the EU Standox paint.

I've had a friend's best painter at his chain of body shop's look at my paint job when I was looking to purchase a trunk a few months ago. I know for certain, the Cranberry Red is a 3 part paint (Base, Top, Clear) and I know a white or off-white primer is recommended for it.

I really dont know anything about Phantom Black, however. I do believe looking at the black, that it is also a pearlescent paint. (It's not gloss black, it's also a glitter-like paint)

I've also thought a quart of both was a bit excessive especially considering the bag is mostly red, but I'm going to add a fairing in the future so extra paint isn't a bad idea.

My painter also only requires the vehicle specific paints, he's going to provide the primers and clear coat as he won't warranty other primers and clear coats.

The metallics in the black are in the base coat & is not a 3 stage - send a PM to @Rick Morris - He is a PPG rep. he can set you up with all the info you need ;)

I bought paint from ColorRite both Cranberry Red & Phantom Black. I bought spray bombs at $38- each. Colors 30230, 10230. (black) 30055 & 1005 (red) I had a fairing and a top case painted. I needed 2 cans of each red and 1 can of each black. I think it matched pretty well. they also sell it in pint, quart , gallon and other sizes.

Attachments

• DSC01546.JPG
    DSC01546.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 5
Back