Burnt on Plastic/Fabric on Exhaust Can

I would not use steel wool. No matter how fine the steel wool you can always see fine scratches. Acetone or perhaps oven cleaner are your best choices. I have used a thin razor blade along with some solvent, but even a thin blade slid across the surface will scratch if you are not careful. Acetone is good for dissoving plastics, but once baked on it can be tough to remove.

I would not use steel wool. No matter how fine the steel wool you can always see fine scratches. Acetone or perhaps oven cleaner are your best choices. I have used a thin razor blade along with some solvent, but even a thin blade slid across the surface will scratch if you are not careful. Acetone is good for dissoving plastics, but once baked on it can be tough to remove.

Thanks. I am gonna try oven cleaner tomorrow and if it doesn't work I will try acetone as you suggest. Steel or Bronze wool would be a last resort.

Picked up a girlfriend in the 70s once on my650 BSA. She had brand new thigh length boots on. When we arrived at our destination she noticed she had burnt the inside off her heels at almost 45 degrees. She wasn’t happy.

I was bloody livid. All that melted muck on my megaphones. Took an age to remove. She became history shortly after.

Thanks. I am gonna try oven cleaner tomorrow and if it doesn't work I will try acetone as you suggest. Steel or Bronze wool would be a last resort.

Better test the oven cleaner on a inconspicuous spot as I have read it is caustic and will damage the chrome. The best product is Road Rub, but it is no longer available.

I’ve had success using a nickel to scrape off hard deposits.

Back