Bump the motor to start

the way i see it is u can either check it with the volt meter or keep on guessing:banghead:
may be a little harsh but i have seen this many times.

Herman,
I surely be no guru and was wondering . . .
Can the crankshaft position sensor have anything to do with this?

There are also the clutch and side stand switches to consider ...

The neutral switch (from GPS) would actually be my suspicion here - however if the side-stand is UP then it won't be that.
i.e. it needs EITHER the side-stand OR the neutral switch to be made, in order to start & run.

The simple test is to just raise the side-stand to eliminate neutral switch as contender.

If the starter is clicking, then I'm sure the starter is at fault.. just like on a car.. try tapping the starter with a hammer.. if it then goes,i its def the starter.

I used to have that problem. You are getting a voltage drop somewhere. Places where it has struck me include: contacts on starter switch, contacts on clutch switch, loose (30amp) fuse, loose battery terminals, dirty battery terminals, and probably some others that I can't remember. I also had untidy wiring with a few accessories to add to the situation. I soldered all the accessory wiring into a battery terminal connector similar to the heavy duty connectors that are already on the battery. Since that last mod I have never had the problem again.

I doubt it is the starter but should it turn out that you need a new one read the sticky started by Wayne Tripp on a cheaper more powerful replacement and make note of the edit in the first post so that you get the correct one.

Nothing to report yet. I have another ground cable on the way and will add that next week. I verified voltage and, for now, placed star washers under the cable connections to give a good ground. Boggles me but I do appreciate the advice. I am off to STL tomorrow and will see how it acts on that trip.

Have you checked for the possibility of the dreaded fried ignition/starter syndrome?

There is a thread titled "Triumph quit ignoring ...." in Common Issues, I think.

Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems

I had a similar, and lengthy issue a while back. Replaced ignition module and added the Eastern Beaver headlight relay and no problems since.

Hope this helps, but also hope it's something simple.

u have to check the voltage while it is acting up.
if it is working good the voltages will measure good. hth

I went through this when I was trying to solve my cold starting issues. I too would rock it in gear and it seemed to help. I never did figure out how that was even possible. I ended up replacing the ground, and the starter (more powerful one as mentioned) and the relay etc etc. The good news is, it solved my problem. The bad news is, I'm not really sure how or why.

As for the battery, I would take it to a shop (took mine to Walmart of all places) and get a proper load test done on it. Voltage sitting doing nothing is one thing, under load is totally another.

I realize THIS is on another board but it does reference back here too. It shows other threads related to this issue (including Wayne's starter thread) and you may find something that helps.

I wish you luck with your issue. Trust me, I know how frustrating it can be.

Back