Bump the motor to start

Mike

American Legion Rider
Ride
2015 R3T
My turn to be stumped so any suggestions are needed.
My 2005 with about 48K has had intermittent starting issues the past couple of years. The starter will not engage when the button is depressed. Cleaned the cable grounds, star washers, new solenoid contacts, new relay, cleaned the crankshaft sensor and it will still just click when the button is pushed. Here the bizarre part, to me....I select 2nd gear, clutch out and rock the bike to bump the motor a bit. Bam, starts and off I go. Every now and then as a cure I can deal with but it is becoming almost a regularity.
What am I missing?
Many thanks in advance.

Check the voltage on your battery, motor off, should be around 12.4 volts. Consider adding a larger ground wire (negative) or double up the ground from your battery to your starter. My bike had this issue until I doubled up on the ground.

In my thinking, OTHER than the contacts in the solenoid which I have replaced, the starter is not part of the problem. Bumping, or jogging the motor a bit will not turn the starter, only the crankshaft and other connected parts. THAT is what is stumping me, why moving the crank a bit causes the starter to power up?

Check the voltage on your battery, motor off, should be around 12.4 volts. Consider adding a larger ground wire (negative) or double up the ground from your battery to your starter. My bike had this issue until I doubled up on the ground.

+1 - And, I may be wrong & I don't have time to go back & look through posts, but didn't I see somewhere that if you double up the ground (or gauge) that you should also copy that for the positive side to equal out? I did that on mine & I'm pretty sure it was because I read on here to do that ???????? :unsure:

Yes, to all. I have the headlight cable, the side stand switch seems to be functioning properly and clutch (position) switch also checks OK. I can do another ground cable, not a major issue, I still have a hard time getting my head around the symptom and what I do to get past it. The connection in my head is open. :confused:

the way i see it is u can either check it with the volt meter or keep on guessing:banghead:
may be a little harsh but i have seen this many times.

I will do this in a couple of hours, off to a Military funeral now. I hope I can report success the next post.
Thanks for the suggestions

Back