Brutus just died - electrical fault

Hey Mittzy, I got exactly the same thing with mine,Sometimes runs for months then pull in for fuel, switch back on and nothin.Last time it happened the clocks stuck in the same position as yours and when I replaced the fuse and restarted the speedo an rev counter were way off, took a few restarts before they came back to normal . The reason is that the fuse ain't held tight in the fusebox and that's what causes the meltin . I always carry a couple of spare 30 amp fuses. This winter I'm gonna bypass that circuit and wire in a 30 amp resetable breaker switch.

a little story
a friend of mine had a car that would work fine until it blew a fuse and quit running .
now i dont usually work on this type of problem but being a friend i decided to put a breaker fuse in it and go for a drive when it quit i opened the hood and at the back of the engine i could see the sparks every few seconds as the breaker fuse opened and closed. problem located and solved.

a little story
a friend of mine had a car that would work fine until it blew a fuse and quit running .
now i dont usually work on this type of problem but being a friend i decided to put a breaker fuse in it and go for a drive when it quit i opened the hood and at the back of the engine i could see the sparks every few seconds as the breaker fuse opened and closed. problem located and solved.
Width 17.8mm per pole - Bit chunky aren't they?;):D

LS MCB Miniature Circuit Breaker 1 Pole 6kA D 10 Amp

BKN-B1-25C.jpg

High Quality LS MCB's are suitable for protection against overload and short circuit.

The LS brand was formerly a part of the LG brand founded in 1936. The LS brand is a high quality trusted global brand.

Standard Confirming to IEC 60898
Approval CCC, SABS, SEMKO CB, CE
Protection Against overload and short circuit
Breaking capacity 6kA
Characteristic D curve
Type of trip Thermal-magnetic release
Type of terminal Lug type
Installation Mounting on 35mm DIN rail
Width 17.8mm per pole

Question is--why did the fuse melt?????????
The terminals are not the best quality and they are only crimped to the wire - these factors together with a heavy current draw creates enough heat to melt the fuse - it has been suggested by @DEcosse to buypass this fuse with a quality product

Back