As far as I know it's only a problem if you have shorter than OEM size rear shocks. Never been a problem for me; not even close.
Canberra,

What are your thoughts of the Avon Cobra vs the Exedra max front tires in the stock 150/80-17 size?
Handling, wear, turn in, stability, longevity, etc...

Thanks,

Never did find another post about the rubbing, but plenty of others in this thread who say they haven't had any issues. Feel free to disregard!

Last year when I rode to Montrose two up my back was really sore so I set the Hagon Nitros up quite soft and with enough luggage for the almost three weeks on the road had no problems whatever even when occassionally bottoming out. Standard length shocks. Obviously this was with an Exedra Max.

Canberra,

What are your thoughts of the Avon Cobra vs the Exedra max front tires in the stock 150/80-17 size?
Handling, wear, turn in, stability, longevity, etc...

Thanks,

Firstly, there is no Exedra Max in that size. There is an Exedra though, which I've tried. I found it at least as good as the Avon for handling and grip, especially in the wet. Biggest issue is wear. For some reason the tread is shallowest just where you need it most (either side of centre) and I found after about 2000km it was getting close to the wear indicators at those points with tons of tread everywhere else. I only fitted one for that reason. Butt ugly too - not that it really matters.

The Avon is a great front and apart from the original Metz and one Exedra, the only tyre I've used in 70,000km. They grip well, have never given me a "moment" and wear evenly from edge to edge. They seem to mate really well with the Exedra Max on the rear too.

The Metz was horrible, by the way.

I put the Avon front and Max back on at the same time. Just replaced both after about 7000miles. Could've gotten more out of the Avon but not a full season so I just went ahead and replaced before this big trip. Until I am strongly convinced otherwise, this will continue to be my tread of choice!

Well the time has come for new skins on the beast & I was up for the front Avon with rear Excedra max. Dealer phones me back to say that Bridgestone have dropped it & no longer produce a rear skin for our rockets. I've checked Avon web site & sure enough there is no Ex. max listed. Back to the Avons then, but if I can get the Metz's cheaper I'll go with them.
Checked again with my dealer, he confirms that his supplier has said this tyre is not available.thoyght I'd check it out so I phoned Bridgestone ( figured they should know), it seems that the tyre is still made but none in UK, they are available through only one supplier & all stock is in France with a 2 week supply time (worst case scenario). In view of this I'll stick with my Avons for now, see how it pans out in another 5000 miles.

Checked again with my dealer, he confirms that his supplier has said this tyre is not available.thoyght I'd check it out so I phoned Bridgestone ( figured they should know), it seems that the tyre is still made but none in UK, they are available through only one supplier & all stock is in France with a 2 week supply time (worst case scenario). In view of this I'll stick with my Avons for now, see how it pans out in another 5000 miles.

That's some crazy limitations for a tire that's OEM for another bike. Are the M109Rs rare across the pond? Or is it that they're too popular?

Back