Break In Issues?

Don't lug the engine, don't go full throttle, avoid riding at constant speeds, and get the oil changed at 500 miles. Take it somewhat easy to 1000 miles then let it rip.

I have to say...I've tried to be good...but I still give it a little "punch" once in a while. I've only been above 4000 RPMs twice, both accidental.

I'm scared to death of screwing this thing up! I will be in at 500 miles for the oil change, no doubt!

Don't lug the engine, don't go full throttle, avoid riding at constant speeds, and get the oil changed at 500 miles. Take it somewhat easy to 1000 miles then let it rip.
Absolutely!!

I have to say...I've tried to be good...but I still give it a little "punch" once in a while. I've only been above 4000 RPMs twice, both accidental...

What are you ***** footing around for...you've had the beast how many hours and only twice you gave 'er the twist. Full throttle would be 6300 :D A Classic you say = #1 in my book.

don't listen to flip, he'll have you thinking Stock is all there is:eek:

Last edited:
Be patient

Like Pigr said take it easy till the 500 when they put the synthetic in. then my modo is break it in like you are going to drive it. I've seen two twin bikes (mom's, step dads) broke in at the same time. Mom did the nice and easy like the book said. After 100 miles step dad rode his like he stole it.
After about 6 months two of there friends lined them up to race them and step dads smoked moms. So i believe after the 500 oil change ride hard as you want and don't look back, because you wont see anyone enyways.:D

Ditto Pig9r - don't break it! Break-in advice is in the owner's manual and from your dealer.

Broke in

Well,
The day I bought mine in July 2005 I drove up the pike at 125 m.p.h. and I did the same several dozen times since then. I just had the 500 mile service done yesterday at 4,500 miles. The service lady seemed unimpressed that I waited so long. I complained of a buzzing noise coming from my engine. Turns out the bolt that holds the front of the gas tank down was missing.
The only sign of trouble is that my tires are down "to the wear bar" on front and rear. They still appear to have plenty of tread in my opinion. At this point I consider it to be "broken in" and trouble free.
:kk:

Wear bars

I didn't know the Metz's had 'wear indicators'. They look half worn out when new.....:confused:

I did not see any wear bars, however, I think they were trying to reach the wear bars of my wallet. I was also contemplating front tire wear, 4500 miles hmmm, too many front wheel burnouts? Stoppies?
I don't know, the tires look fine to me.

Back