Boog's Review of the 2020 R and GT

You can have the GT bars put on the R. The R foot controls can be set up or down, not front to back. Aside from the useless fly screen on the GT, they’re basically naked bikes. Nice ones though. I found no difference in the power, although you may feel it less in the more aggressive riding position of the R.

nice write up...

There is a sensor under the rear guard and if you hold the key there and hit the starter your'e all good again....apparently.
If you stand on the left side of the bike and run your hand underneath the tail unit there are two very tiny points in the plastic. You hold the key fob between them and the bike starts, irrespective of battery in the fob.
Another feature of the key fob is that you can press it and the bike stops responding to it. This stops someone cloning your key by scanning it.

Enjoyed your review by the way. Few things to add.

Agree, horn is an embarrassment. The bell on my daughters training wheel equipped bicycle is more aggressive.
Heated grips are a must add imo, if you get the R or TFC. But the switch is stupidly hard to activate in gloves.
Talking of stupid switches, the indicator borders on dangerous. Never mind the ‘brief press for 3 seconds, long press for smart cancel ‘ nonsense, I’d settle for it actually working first time I hit it, every time.
Keyless ignition is awesome. My last two Ducati’s had it with zero issues - if the Italians can make it work, then anyone can. Another advantage of the Rocket over the Diavel is that you can leave the petrol cap unlocked. I’m genuinely not concerned that someone might try to siphon out my gas (is that even still a thing?), but having to use the key when you want to fill up sucks.
The switch with the ‘house’ on it, activates the steering lock. It’s quick and it works.

Regarding the rest of the switchgear iconography, I don’t know what they are smoking. You’ve got the joystick nonsense on the left bar, and another menu button on the right bar. Then someone obviously went, aha, having two confusing switch systems to operate the bikes functions, what we really need is a 3rd button to get into the riding mode selector.... And whilst on that, the rain icon is self evident. The straight road icon is when you want your bike to be a slightly worse version of itself - suggest leaving that alone. The sports version is a more normal setup. The crash helmet one is one you can program yourself, if you absolutely, positively want to do stuff like turning off the abs and traction control (good luck with that project)

Oh and finally, my welcome message simply says ‘Let’s melt’. I’m sure someone can do better than that in 13 characters or less though, let’s hear your best ones.

And finally finally, to the ‘if I wanted a Diavel’ commentator - I took a few pics of my bike yesterday. Three separate people came up to me with their phones and asked me to take pictures of them standing next to it. I took it to the Ace Cafe (biker haunt), and any time I looked out to check on it, there were people taking pictures. This bike is not the same as a Diavel, and you can take that to the Banca.

Nice test, but if I want something that looks like a Diavel, I'll buy a Diavel. The new Rocket does nothing for me. The original was like nothing else. For people that like the new one, good for you. Nuff said.
I rode a Diavel a few months ago and was quite happy, though it too had several draw backs for me. But in comparison to the 2020 R3s, the Diavel falls way behind. One major downer for me on the Duc is there feels like nothing in front of me. The Rockets here still have plenty of machine ahead that helps me judge everything from cracks in the pavement to tight turns.

@Daytonastar Thank you for the added information. MOD guys were busy herding cats for the demo and didn't have much time to explain the finer details of the fob and the area you mention above.

And I appreciate your take on the switches. Anything on a bike should activate as soon as it is pushed. Maybe the owners manual tells us to only touch button when at a stop.

I did have someone take my gas on Brahma a couple of year ago on a rare occasion that I did not cover it over night. I had filled up the night before and as I took off in the morning for a ride, the bike died a few miles from home with an empty tank. Luckily I had my spare gas can on the back at the time but man was that an angry moment.

Great review Boog..!! I think you missed your calling,you should be writing for Cycle Magazine. To be honest I'm not a big fan of added electronics, not only does it increase the price of the bike but also the reliability. I'm from the Jurassic Age anyway so who am I to put it down. It seems all my BMW rider friends are constantly in the shop on some electronic issue.On the other hand having these items in new cars with built in blue tooth, GPS,heated seats etc etc is a luxury.There is just too much going on around you to be put on bikes.

Last edited:
Great review Boog..!! I think you missed your calling,you should be writing for Cycle Magazine. To be honest I'm not a big fan of added electronics, not only does it increase the price of the bike but also the reliability. I'm from the Jurassic Age anyway so who am I to put it down. It seems all my BMW rider friends are constantly in the shop on some electronic issue.On the other hand having these items in new cars with built in blue tooth, GPS,heated seats etc etc is a luxury.There's just too much going on to be put on bikes.
I too am a luddite. My 2017 truck is as basic as I could get, no key fob, just a key to unlock the doors. No cruise control, no heated seats but does have many extras I do not care for, backup camera, Bluetooth, computer screen on the dash and a menu of unwanted crap that while may be useful, it is a distraction and not needed. Give me a speedo, tach, dimmer switch and a blasting horn and I am happy both on four and two wheels.

Too many switches, bells and whistles for me. That, and the price, and the fact that they are a totally different bike, than our earlier models. Nothing interchangeable. The only similarity between the new models, and the old, are 2 wheels, and a 3 cylinder engine. Now if the new ones had an "out the door" price of $16K that I paid for my new 2013, I might be thinking about having one.;):confused::cool:o_O:sneaky:

Back