RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Although this has a happy ending thought I'd share my, 'travails' with Bluetooth transmitters/receivers. Years ago, well, whenever Sena came out with its' gizmos for receiving Bluetooth signals via helmet speakers I dived in and had very good results in playing tunes without wires between my cell phone or iPod and my helmet speakers. Then it occurred to me I could handle-bar mount a cradle(via a motorcycle kit) to hold my car's portable satellite radio. Just needed a Bluetooth transmitter connected via 3.5mm audio cord to my radio cradle. Got a $20.00 transmitter from Amazon and it worked great for a couple years until the transmitter died for reasons unknown. Then I bought another cheap Bluetooth transmitter and it did not work, would not pair. Then I spent 50 bucks for another and it would not pair either. WTF? So, I decided to spring for the very expensive $120 Sena transmitter and, oh joy, it worked.

So, for past couple years I've had hard feelings towards inexpensive Bluetooth transmitters......until today. I was tired of needing to dismount and mount my satellite radio gear and transmitter between bikes. So, I got another radio cradle and parts necessary so all I'd have to do is remove the radio from one bike and snap it into the cradle on the other bike. Needed another transmitter but I got beat out on an eBay auction for a very good deal on a new Sena transmitter so that prompted me to try another cheap($22.00) Bluetooth transmitter from Amazon. Well, turns out the $75.00 to $100.00 that I thought I threw away on two non-working transmitters in the past was in fact not a problem with those transmitters but a problem with ME. Good grief, if you don't press the several different buttons on these gizmos in the right sequence and then wait for the proper voice prompts and lights to blink in a certain colors and blinking rates then you are NOT going to get these suckers to pair.

With printed instructions in hand, a full glass of whiskey in the other plus a little prayer I was able, finally.....after running back and forth between my garage, my computer .PDF files and printer, etc........well, these **** things can WORK if you jump through enough hoops.

So, now when my new transmitter dies a natural death in a couple years I still have a couple backups on the shelf. I can only hope I can remember that and remember to print out all the instructions for the Sena, transmitter, etc. and have enough whiskey and brain cells on hand to make these evil buggers pair! :banghead::):D

Last edited:
I just got a new Sena system this summer. They make it easy just turn Bluetooth on your phone on then on your helmet and done. Now I wasn't too impressed with the volume available till riding back from Colorado. With miles of Kansas to get through I started seeing if I could lessen the wind noise which seemed bad with the big windshield I was using. Turned out the wind stream coming off the windshield was just clipping the very top of my helmet right on the vent making a heck of a lot of noise. Closing the vent helped but raising the shield was the answer. Now with that change I can rock out. :)

It gets better

These guys work really well. Plug them in and replace the helmet speakers
Guardian - Plugfones : The First and Only Earplugs with Music

I wear ear plugs anyway - why not let the music gps etc play. I draw the line at talking on the phone.
I get all that from the phone. I was shocked when listening to music the volume dropped and my Google maps told me the next turn and then the music came back on. Unfortunately the speakers are hardwired to the Sena unit so it would cut and solder time.

I.............Unfortunately the speakers are hardwired to the Sena unit so it would cut and solder time.

That's interesting - what model do you have. I know they are removable on a 20S and it look likes like they are removable on my Sena 5.

Back