UnicornRider

.020 Over
Ride
2010 thunderbird se
After leaving work today I stopped by a friends shop and was in the store less than 10 minutes before the shop owner came running to me saying my bike was on its side. I went out and picked it up, just bent bars and levers and a scratched bag, so no huge loss that I can see.
They ran the cameras back and found that a car had backed out of the spot next to me, clipped the bike, pulled back into the spot, and then backed out again and left. (See video)
The lady’s a ghost (gave a fake name and number) so I’m not sure what my next move is. What do y’all think?

Karma is unreliable so .I'd see if any of the other shops have footage and maybe a rego??

Sorry to hear... It's definitely worth a police report with the video since you have a photo of the lady at the counter, but ultimately it will be on you and your insurance company (if you wish to file).
-MIG

I wouldn't expect much legwork from the insurance company or the Police. File a report and then canvass the area and see if you can find the car on other video or traffic cams. This type of person needs to be hunted down and publicly horsewhipped but society frowns on that these days. The best you can do is probably hunt her down and then take her to small claims court for the deductible you will be paying or the cost of repairs you spend. If you are lucky enough to find her and then go to small claims court and she skips the event then you can do the legwork and slap a lien on her car just for fun!

bob

Whether they lift a finger or not, you'll have to file a police report for your insurance. Some departments get fired up about these and will investigate though, some places a hit and run with property damage constitutes a felony - especially given almost any damage can be spun as well over $1K. Witnessed an older lady smash into another parked car at the grocery store recently and called the local PD with description and partial plates and they were on her like a duck on a june bug. In the time it took me to load my groceries, I saw two patrol cars rocket past in opposite directions and one had come into the parking lot to talk to witnesses. Musta been a slow day.
Karma is unreliable so .I'd see if any of the other shops have footage and maybe a rego??
If you end up doing your own investigating, check the neighboring business and businesses across street for security cam footage. Maybe one of them got a shot at the plate. 4K+ resolutions systems aren't uncommon these days and they actually can do a little of the old CSI BS "Zoom. Enhance." Do this ASAP as most of those systems don't store footage very long. Some may be hesitant to let you look, but most will actually be as or more accommodating to you than to the razzers, as they all work for a living and most hate hit and run scumbags as much as all decent folk. If you do dig up good leads, it goes without saying not to confront the person directly. Absolutely nothing good can come of that. Take your evidence to the police and, if they don't want to get off their ass, start calling he local media and give them the story, and light up the Mayor's phone lines.

Gave who a fake name and number? I don't get it, if she drove off.
A lot of these sub human troglodytes, if they think someone may be watching, will gin up a note and conspicuously place it on the victim's vehicle, all the while doing a Marcel Marceau quality impression of being late to pick their war hero grandpa up from his dialysis treatment, so as to hopefully make a witness forego making a 911 call - "Ah, it's okay, she left all her info. I sure do hope the Colonel gets better."
hG4XgSg.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Most importantly, I hope you get your bike sorted with minimal expense and downtime, but fingers crossed you can also stick it to the oxygen thief who did it.

Back