There are two ways to tune the fuel. One is using the Tuneboy or TuneECU program. This is done by changing the maps in the ECU. This is a tedious process and should only be done by a tuner experienced with using these programs with the Keihin ECU.

The other method is to install a PCIII (or V). This doesn't deal with the ECU at all and only adjusts the fuel pulse. There are a lot of dyno tuners with experience on this.

would you need a pc3 for that??;)
Power commander is the most commonly used and serviced in dealerships and shops. Tune ECU and Tune Boy are options which work well for those skilled in tweeking engine fuel management. For those who can't or won't be doing their own fuel mapping, the PCIII or PCV is the right choice, this set-up can be dyno tuned in most service departments since they typically use Power Commander equipment.

Don't bite off more than you can chew and pick a system common to your area of the country for support reasons.

Even if you choose to have tuning done professionally with Power Commander products and technicians, TuneECU is a fun toy that lets you hook up a PC and see what's going on in there.

If you decide to just go with TuneECU, I also have an '06 Classic with cat delete only and the tune that works best for me is 20020. The only mods I do to it are opening the secondaries up to 100%, -6% adjustment of the speedo, raising the rev limiter to 6500 and the top speed to 299 (not necessary, of course).

Timely topic. I have been communicating via email with a local guy who advertised on Craigslist that he is highly experienced in TuneBoy mapping and can fully re-map any Rocket, Ducati, Aprilia, etc. for $350, with future changes to maps at $75.

Now...before anyone starts in on "a guy from Craigslist...", he states that he has been a bike mechanic for 20 years, a bike racer for most of his life, crew chief and tuner for Bill Powell's 2006 World Speed Record on the Triumph Rocket (I found a YouTube video of the speed record being set and they state this guys name during the video as being Crew Chief, and also found other info with him tied to the Rocket speed record)...so he would appear to be legit.

I do not really like the idea of trying to tune my bike with TuneEcu, as I lack not only skill...but more importantly PATIENCE. So the cost of TuneBoy is about the same as a PCIII, but the PC only adjusts fuel and not the ECU.

So what is the better value? Which makes more sense? Does the price for a TuneBoy tune seem about right?

Timely topic. I have been communicating via email with a local guy who advertised on Craigslist that he is highly experienced in TuneBoy mapping and can fully re-map any Rocket, Ducati, Aprilia, etc. for $350, with future changes to maps at $75.

Now...before anyone starts in on "a guy from Craigslist...", he states that he has been a bike mechanic for 20 years, a bike racer for most of his life, crew chief and tuner for Bill Powell's 2006 World Speed Record on the Triumph Rocket (I found a YouTube video of the speed record being set and they state this guys name during the video as being Crew Chief, and also found other info with him tied to the Rocket speed record)...so he would appear to be legit.

I do not really like the idea of trying to tune my bike with TuneEcu, as I lack not only skill...but more importantly PATIENCE. So the cost of TuneBoy is about the same as a PCIII, but the PC only adjusts fuel and not the ECU.

So what is the better value? Which makes more sense? Does the price for a TuneBoy tune seem about right?

Assuming he has the cable, you have to buy the Tuneboy license for $200. The license is specific for each bike's ECU. If you bought the cable and the license, it would cost $500.

A PCIII costs about $350 and a custom mapping costs about $250. Tuneboy has a PCIII emulator which allows a tuner to more easily adjust the fuel trim on a Dynojet dyno. Ask the tuner if this is what he does and whether he could also do it with TuneECU, which doesn't have the PCIII emulator.

The cable for use with TuneECU costs only $20 and depending on your exhaust and intake setup, there is probably a tune out there that will work pretty well. It depends what your goal is.

Back