Best Tire Size for Handling

words of wisdom...….i hope there is a video somewhere that can refer too???

but on a lighter note and a message to Triumph.....I mean if one has to hate every thing about stock on the bike except the engine size, paint and chrome......then why was it too expensive when brand new....I mean so far, as a newb....I have experienced....bad tire choice, weird shocks, no sound on stock pipes, weird air intake.....and this me only in few years and 6500 miles...….please add more so that I know what is the total cost of ownership of this craze of flying free:)))))

.I wonder if they have resolved most issues with the 2020 model.....but yet again they copied Ducati in the shape, abandoning the traditional triumph looks.....

I guess I need to take a coffee break.....
I actually saw a R3T at my dealer....with 100K miles and 80 service records during its life......from which 40K miles were missing.....so in 60K miles, he had to bring from service 80 times.....that's huge....

No coffee for my tea and no sugar for me. Your on the right track. If it helps I have 66,000 miles on my 2015 Rocket X. I do my own work and by far it has been one of the best bikes i have ever owned.

Last edited:
I am not doubting what sonny says and i believe that it would fix the problem but for the price of one front tire i would try that first.

edit
if another front tire does not work u will have a spare that u will need in about 10,000 miles :laugh:

I have looked at a bunch of online tire sites and each of them show the Michelin Road 5 in the 150/70R/17 size as a, "Rear" tire. Where am I going wrong? :unsure:
The size of the tires on the Rocket 3 are exceedingly LARGE. The front tire on this bike is the same size many bikes use for their rear tires.

No coffee for my tea and no sugar for me. Your on the right track. If it helps I have 66,000 miles on my 2015 Rocket X. I do my own work and by far it has been one of the best bikes i have ever owned.
I had a '79 Shovelhead that finally quit at 167,000 miles, that was the best bike I ever had. I wrote Harley about it and they said "While rare it's not unheard of" so they didn't care. That was all factory internals, in the 19 years I owned it I replaced clutch plates and a stator.

Last edited:
My searches for a good handling front tire size come up with a recommended front size of 140/75/17 or in one case a 150/60/17. I can't find any size recommended for the rear tire other than the 240/55/16.
Tried a 130 on the from. Bike felt much more nimble but wanted to turn-in too easily at slow speeds during hard breaking. Didn't seem overly twitchy at Highway speeds. Ended up with a 140 on the front, best balance of handling without being to easy to turn-in.

There are not many 130s that have the load rating we need. If you ride to limit a 130 could become dangerous when the big beast gets to pushing hard in a corner and loads up that front sidewall. But if you are mature and never loose control you may be ok with a 67 which alot of 130s are. Easier for a 17in than the 16.s, just food for thought on load and speed rating.

Back