Best Tire Size for Handling

Running on Front:
Avon Cobra Chrome AV91 140/75R-17 ($164 at Rocky Mountain ATV)
Running on rear:
Bridgestone Excedra Max 240 ($160 at Rocky Mountain ATV)

Pretty happy with the combo. I seems to get a better mileage with the Excedra Max rear than the
Metzler, but that's still only about 4K miles (vs 3K for the Metzler).
I have the same combination and I'm at 5,660 miles and the tires look hardly worn. Maybe our roads are a different material and I rarely if ever ride stop light to stop light it's usually open road.

I have the same combination and I'm at 5,660 miles and the tires look hardly worn. Maybe our roads are a different material and I rarely if ever ride stop light to stop light it's usually open road.
I just put on the Road 5 150/70 17 and the Excedra 240/55 16 and the difference in handling is night and day (2011 R3R.) It takes a little more to get her into the turn, but once going...she goes. Scared the bejeesus out of me my first time. On the flip side, I didn't feel any slipping of the tires or that she was going to fall flat on her face (well, my face, her side.) I still don't have a lot of miles under this combination (about 45 so far) but I don't think I'd want to go back to stock set up.

I just put on the Road 5 150/70 17 and the Excedra 240/55 16 and the difference in handling is night and day (2011 R3R.) It takes a little more to get her into the turn, but once going...she goes. Scared the bejeesus out of me my first time. On the flip side, I didn't feel any slipping of the tires or that she was going to fall flat on her face (well, my face, her side.) I still don't have a lot of miles under this combination (about 45 so far) but I don't think I'd want to go back to stock set up.
Interesting I find the turn in very easy to initiate . I have found no negative to this 150 tire.

Interesting I find the turn in very easy to initiate . I have found no negative to this 150 tire.
Lol. This was my very first instinct when picking up the bike from the shop. After 45 miles with it, it is beginning to feel natural, and not all that different from stock turn in. I think the point I was really trying to make is the difference is just unbelievable.

I have run every combination of tires and different sizes including riding on the dark side but only one set of tires suit me. Avon Cobra Chromes stock sizes. Don't like mixing up tire makes although we have done that. Bridgestone on the back is right up there with the Chromes but no front tire to match. The bike was designed by engineers who selected the tire sizes for a reason. They just did not sit down and draw the sizes out of a hat. Tried the 140 up front because a few years ago everyone was claiming what a great tire it was for handling. Well did notice after a few events these folks trailered to the events vice riding. Sure the 140 is great on a trailer but for riding down the Highway not so great. Bike is more stable at highway speeds with the stock sizes. I can understand going through the hoops with different combinations of tires and sizes but really like the chromes for there stability in foul weather and longevity. Plus they look good.

Lol. This was my very first instinct when picking up the bike from the shop. After 45 miles with it, it is beginning to feel natural, and not all that different from stock turn in. I think the point I was really trying to make is the difference is just unbelievable.
I had upgraded my suspension after I did my motor and felt it was pretty good but going to that Road 5 was the icing on the cake. The only real negative about my bike now is the braking power. Compared to the new Rockets the brakes are pretty bad.

I had upgraded my suspension after I did my motor and felt it was pretty good but going to that Road 5 was the icing on the cake. The only real negative about my bike now is the braking power. Compared to the new Rockets the brakes are pretty bad.
Suspension is on the list. It's down on the list due to costs because even the mid-range performers like Progressive are at the pucker factor for cost, let alone stuff like Ohlin or Wilburs(Wilbers??) Anyways, I know stock suspension needs to be replaced, and I'll get to it. Eventually. Are we getting another stimulus? ;)

Back