Best Tire Size for Handling

....so here is my first ride experience.....it is ****ing(pardon my French but there is no other way to express it:)) out of this world difference than the stock.....the bike just wants to turn itself....I just rode in my neighborhood streets and turns....amazing handling, infact I could not even cope with it....the bike feels really light on the handle than before....it started raining so I had to come back as I was not wearing any gear....here are the things I got done:
rear tire: Bridgestone exedra max(240/55/16) at 42PSI
Front tire: michelin road type 5( installed backward)...extremely thankful to this forum for the guidance....tire pressure at 34psi...
Changed the oil myself for the first time....watched YouTube video for that....
next project is to change the coolant.....
please advise if the tire pressures I set are the optimum ones....I mostly drive mixed...city and freeway....and lovely California curves....

Congrats! I'm so pleased that you like the setup.
I run 34F & 38R when on a day ride, but add a couple lbs to each when loaded for a trip.
I really prefer no more than the 34F when hooning for max front grip when braking hard and trail braking entering and exiting twisties.
If you haven't already, improve your shockies and you'll experience about 50% more improvement than you did with the tires.

For me... 40 rear on both the CT and the Exedra. 36 on the front Shinko or Michelin. Shocks Progressives 444 set at minimum.

I could see it. I run 38R when traveling/loaded for the twisties. If empty, 2 lbs less wouldn't hurt.

Congrats! I'm so pleased that you like the setup.
I run 34F & 38R when on a day ride, but add a couple lbs to each when loaded for a trip.
I really prefer no more than the 34F when hooning for max front grip when braking hard and trail braking entering and exiting twisties.
If you haven't already, improve your shockies and you'll experience about 50% more improvement than you did with the tires.
Which shocks , a link would be much appreciated.... thanks

Which shocks , a link would be much appreciated.... thanks

There are better, way more expensive shocks, but I would recommend Progressive 444 in the standard configuration - unless you weigh like 300 pounds (about $600).
Progressive also makes better front springs for the front forks as well (about $100).

So I am back again with the tire question....

I have been noticing that....when I touch 100 Mph on my test rides....the moment I touch 100mph the handle bars suddenly start wiggling a lot, so much so that I feel very unstable, I drop to just 97mph....it stops.....I think I might have experienced it when I put the combination on( exedra+michelin) but it was very suttle.... today I felt it really bad.....so I am think two probable reasons:
1. I might not have touch 100mph after changing the tires, but I do remember I have ridden at 110 on old stock tires....it never bothered me this much.

2. I might had my wind screen extension on my stock screen not balanced probably that is why the air pressure imbalance causes the handle to wiggle

3. May be the tire shop did not balance the tire at 100mph.....? It runs very smooth on below 100mph.....

Has anyone reported that before?
Pic for the windscreen extension attached
43A7B069-CEDE-4DCC-801F-D63E1694FD32.jpeg

Yes replace the back shocks and the front fork springs with a good aftermarket company. At the same time replace your neck bearings and races. Pack both bearings with a good quality grease not the stuff Triumph used at the factory. 100 plus your wobble will disappear. Trust me on this one. It is not your tires or windshield causing the problems. Progressive is the way i went and it worked for me along with replacing the bearings and races in the neck. Fully packed bearings using the old school method of packing bearings i believe did the trick. 150 Mph no wobble.

Last edited:
Yes replace the back shocks and the front fork springs with a good aftermarket company. At the same time replace your neck bearings and races. Pack both bearings with a good quality grease not the stuff Triumph used at the factory. 100 plus your wobble will disappear. Trust me on this one. It is not your tires or windshield causing the problems.
Shocks, yes, it was on my list for later....avoiding $700 expense since just invested too much on tires and exhaust….didn't know there will be more coming after the tire changes.....The low speed handling is improved a lot and I am very happy with the tires....

what do you mean by neck bearings and races?????....any links will be appreciated......

so avoid riding at 100MPH for now:)…..could not doing all the above list be risky below 100Mph????

but on side note....never felt this on old stock tires...….I have riding for last three years, wiggling started with the new tires...that is why I imagined it would be this change causing the issue?

Yes and No. Do you have a Service manual? Even if you take the bike to a dealer having a service manual will help. You can read up and then Discuss with your dealer on their level of what you believe is the problem. Neck bearing adjustment on this bike is mandatory after riding a few thousand miles.

Yes and No. Do you have a Service manual? Even if you take the bike to a dealer having a service manual will help. You can read up and then Discuss with your dealer on their level of what you believe is the problem. Neck bearing adjustment on this bike is mandatory after riding a few thousand miles.
I have a small user guide...but not the service manual....I will try to buy one online....please share the link if you can....will check the dealer as well on the damage....will try to do it myself if it is not a pain in the neck....

Back