Bespoke ITG Air Filter

Battersea

Turbocharged
I have posted this on the .com site but knowing some on here would rather have their eyes poked out than go there, :evil: have posted here too.

Over the past few weeks and with the cooperation of ITG I have been working on a foam type filter to fit to the throttle bodies without requiring the repositioning of the overflow bottle or modification of the bearclaw. I received the first filter from ITG yesterday and now its just a case of putting on the bike to see if my calcs/dimensions are good. Have to thank Scott and Duncan for doing a lot of the pioneering work with foam filters - it was them that inspired me to go my own way.

Basically it is much the same as the Pipercross/ITG arrangement but made shorter and narrower. The foam is bonded to the baseplate making it single piece construction (no separate baseplate). It also has flame trap mesh inside (same stuff they use on F1 filters). The baseplate takes the standard Triumph trumpets and clips which should make it simple to fit. The IAT sensor goes into the baseplate using the standard grommet.

According to ITG this filter will be good to 300hp so no worries there, service life between cleaning - minimum of 10k miles. I am also going to use an ITG filter for the crankcase breather instead of the K&N, mainly because I think it will be easier to fit as it can be compressed to shorten it whilst fitting.

Laser cut baseplate

The silvery bit behind the wire mesh is the flame trap mesh

The Grommet is Triumph part

Breather Filter - uncompressed and compressed.

I have posted this on the .com site but knowing some on here would rather have their eyes poked out than go there, :evil: have posted here too.

Over the past few weeks and with the cooperation of ITG I have been working on a foam type filter to fit to the throttle bodies without requiring the repositioning of the overflow bottle or modification of the bearclaw. I received the first filter from ITG yesterday and now its just a case of putting on the bike to see if my calcs/dimensions are good. Have to thank Scott and Duncan for doing a lot of the pioneering work with foam filters - it was them that inspired me to go my own way.
It
Basically it is much the same as the Pipercross/ITG arrangement but made shorter and narrower. The foam is bonded to the baseplate making it single piece construction (no separate baseplate). It also has flame trap mesh inside (same stuff they use on F1 filters). The baseplate takes the standard Triumph trumpets and clips which should make it simple to fit. The IAT sensor goes into the baseplate using the standard grommet.

According to ITG this filter will be good to 300hp so no worries there, service life between cleaning - minimum of 10k miles. I am also going to use an ITG filter for the crankcase breather instead of the K&N, mainly because I think it will be easier to fit as it can be compressed to shorten it whilst fitting.

Laser cut baseplate

Good work Colin.
I like to see variations of ideas. Looks good for those who want to keep the standard look.

Nice looks like what I did with the Pipercross. Can't wait to see it mounted up. I am curious as to the clearance on the knee. Can you post the overall Dimensions of the filter?

If you're selling them; I'd like one asap. I'll install it on a 2012 R3T modified by Carpenter for 246hp at the rear wheel and run it on the dyno with and without it.
PM me if that's a possibility.

Laser cut baseplate

Looks to be a brilliant bit of engineering, battersea! Can't wait to here your results.

Colin, let me know also if you intend to produce these filters and PM me a cost please.

Oh - I don't need the little filter for the crankcase.

Back