Been thinking about a new Rocket 3 Touring

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi guys, I am currently riding a Kawasaki vn1700 Nomad that I bought new in 2010. I have had my eye on the R3T for some time now.
I have also owned two Valkyries' and a GL 1800 Wing.
I am not a huge v-twin fan as the Nomad has been my first one.
I would like to ask a few questions here and would be happy to see if I could learn a thing or two.
Should I have any concerns about the cable actuated clutch? All the bikes that I've mentioned have had hydraulically actuated clutches.
How top heavy is it? My Nomad is very top heavy compared to all of my flat six bikes that I have owned.
I want to sit in a more upright position like my previous bikes. The Nomad is the typical feel forward style.
Is the Rocket kind of upright? I'm six feet tall and weigh about 230 lbs, and ride solo.
Are their any differences in the most recent years, say between '14-16 other than color?
I definitely want ABS.
How are they as far as overall reliability? I've never owned a Triumph. Do they leak oil?
I've got three dealers within one hour of my home, but none have any tourers this time of the year. I can't even go and sit on one anywhere around me. When I call these guys, they don't even seem interested in talking about them.
I would want a larger shield for the cooler weather, and a set of highway pegs, but not much else.
Thanks for any help, Eric

Welcome from one of the Aussies, you won't regret it if you yearn stump pulling power like no other

Welcome Eric! You may want to list where you live, there may be a Captain close by who can answer your questions or possibly let you check out the R3T.

had to replace my clutch cable this past summer no my 07 cable pulled out from the lug,not at all top heavy looks like it is but sit on it definitely feels light (to me anyways)only leaks oil when you spill it trying to fill with no funnel,mine has no abs so wont comment quite a few here are 6ft and a few inches and quite a few are 230lbs plus,you say a shield and pegs well I will give you 6 months before you"ll be asking for more power although it has plenty.suits me just fine for the open roads of new mexico Colorado passes and anything in between

G'day and Welcome Eric from down under The touring is a perfect fit for fellars around the 6 Foot mark, no they don't leak oil and in standard tune a great performer ,give them a little tickle up and they go just as hard as a Roadster but more comfortable, just wait till you sit on one and you will feel right at home

I'm 6'3, 275lb, and find it very comfortable.

I hated the footboards when I got it, coming from a sport-touring '95 Trophy, but over longer riders have learnt to love them for the versatility they give in seating. Can be very upright, or stretched out and relaxed leaning back. Highway pegs on the dresser bars for proper foot-forward too. Very comfortable on longer distances to shift positions easily.

Never had an issue that needed the shop to fix. No leaks of anything. Done a bunch of work myself on simple stuff - ECU, air and oil filters, ignition, etc all easy to do. I know nothing about bike mechanics.

Very stable, very easy, very comfy, very fast.

Well I was able to locate a Rocket three touring today at a dealership. I got a good feel for it by sitting on it. The weight is down pretty low I assume due to the heavy crankshaft.
I am also interested in the Honda f6b deluxe. I was able to check that bike out today also. But for a bike that costs about $4000 more, they don't come with ABS. I couldn't believe it, and that is a big deterrent.
I did like the passenger seating room on the f6b and the wind protection is superior.
One of the first things that I would change with the rocket would be to switch to a larger windshield.
My wife liked the Honda a little more due to the bodywork and the more roomy rear seating area.
I'm not into too many gadgets though, and I could give or take the radio. I like the more basic layout of the rocket. So, I guess I've got some things to think about. I really did want my next bike to have ABS.

Another question, if it's ok. I did think the rear section of the seat was a bit small, at least compared to the F6B's back portion. Can anyone tell me if the other seats that Triumph offers are any bigger in the back?
I was checking out the long haul seat on Triumph's accessory page.

I am mainly focusing on the Rocket now. The more I read on the F6B, the less I am feeling about it. Apparently,
they have a lot of complaints concerning the quality of the flat paint finishes.
So, if the F6B had the same gloss paint as the Goldwing, and ABS, I would probably still consider it.
Thanks for any input, Eric

Back