Battery or need a relay?

BigWillie

Supercharged
Ride
08 R3 Touring, HD Dyna
My "08 R3T started having cranking problems a while back. Battery seemed to be dying so I replaced it with the lithium one from Battery Tender. Started having the same issue. Hit the button, engine goes "chunk" like it was trying to turn over then stops. Everything resets and I hit button and it does it again. Put on a jump box or jumper cables and it fires right up.
Any thoughts on a solution? Don't want to buy another battery if it is some other problem.

Check cleanliness and tightness of ALL connections, including at the starter motor. Even a loose fuse can cause problems.

Could be current/voltage sag during cranking. Are you keeping it on a tender?
Clean all connections and always use a battery tender is the key, when ever I have a issue I clean and tightened all connections. That’s a good start. If this doesn’t work their is other upgrades to try.

My "08 R3T started having cranking problems a while back. Battery seemed to be dying so I replaced it with the lithium one from Battery Tender. Started having the same issue. Hit the button, engine goes "chunk" like it was trying to turn over then stops. Everything resets and I hit button and it does it again. Put on a jump box or jumper cables and it fires right up.
Any thoughts on a solution? Don't want to buy another battery if it is some other problem.
Thanks for the info. all the connections are tight, Will check fuses. Battery seem alright on another of my bikes. I will get another and check everything else.

Could be current/voltage sag during cranking. Are you keeping it on a tender?
Clean all connections and always use a battery tender is the key, when ever I have a issue I clean and tightened all connections. That’s a good start. If this doesn’t work their is other upgrades to try.

What other upgrades?

You need to let a lithium battery build itself up for a few minutes before restarting; they actually build up power when you let them pause for a bit, after an initial try, it should start your bike. Good luck and be safe!

@geno hit the nail on the head.
The reason you only get a clunk is the ECU runs out of voltage and opens the crank circuit (controlled by a negative feed to the crank relay), I bet your gauges sweep again after the CLUNK!!! this indicates the ECU resetting as if you have just turned the key and getting ready to start. I had the same thing on one of my Roadsters.

OK - Here's something I am currently testing.

Lithium Batteries and "tenders/chargers". Even proper "Automotive Lithium Tenders" seem to do a pretty poor job.
Most do not apply enough voltage to charge correctly.

Will document once I have more info.

• SKU: 17774N_PLT Search Results is where i bought a brand new starter & solenoid that you can replace by simply switching the front gear bendix; this starter is a 1.4kw more cranking power than our stock 1.2kw starter; This starter cost me $82.00 shipped, it is the same starter for a 1999 Toyota solara! The oem starter from bike bandit cost around $740.00 what a difference this is the starting power this bike needs. "Be Safe"

Back