Kevin M

Standard Bore
Ride
07 R3
Hi All, I replaced the ignition switch in my 2007 R3 Roadster and now if the bike sits more than 2 or 3 days it wont start because the battery is drained. I wired in the new switch wire to wire color to color. Any thoughts? Thanks

I had a problem like that and @DEcosse found ( don’t know how he found I forget) but problem was the ems relay was not closing when I turned bike off, you can feel it click on or a gate in there closes allowing voltage through for system to operate correctly and when you turn key off in about 30 seconds you can feel that relay click opening gate stopping power and yet not draining battery, that was my issue, I’m sorry I can’t remember exactly but the relay was ok something was telling it to stay energized, if you pull that relay I think it throws a code you’ll have to reset in tune ecu. I will try to find the thread battery draining, just something to check of course I’m not trying to act like yep that’s your issue, just something to check

Thanks Kevin, it's a place to start!
You’re welcome im trying to remember how he fixed for me, it took a minute as a lot of checks had to take place but he found my problem, if I remember I will post how he fixed mine

Hi All, I replaced the ignition switch in my 2007 R3 Roadster... I wired in the new switch wire to wire color to color....

2007 must be a Classic surely - Roadster model not until 2010

Can you clarify about replacing switch and having to wire it in "colour to colour" - why did it have to be re-wired? Did you get one with the 'new' style connector and replace the connector on it for the old style one?
Or ???

Do you have a Voltmeter? I can give you some trouble-shooting guidance

p.s. I somewhat remember chasing that issue on yours @Kevin frazier but not the specific details - however your EMS relay set-up is different from that on the Classic.

.... now if the bike sits more than 2 or 3 days it wont start because the battery is drained....

Is this repeated behaviour?
i.e. you charge it, (or ride it) then leave it again for a couple of days and it has discharged again?
And this only started happening when you replaced the key-switch?
Has bike been out of commission for a while before you replaced the switch?

After you charge it, can you measure the battery voltage with the key turned on (and the headlights on)
And see how quickly that voltage is dropping as you leave the key on, over the course of a minute.
It may be just that your battery is 'past it' - that test will tell you if it is accepting a full charge.

You're right, mine is the classic. The problem started when ignition switch failed. I bought a replacement which had a plug to the switch and a corresponding plug with butt connectors already attached. I cut the wires to the existing switch and connected them to the same color on the new switch wiring harness. That solved the problem of the bike intermittently shutting off when the handlebars turned back and forth. I think there was a break in the wiring from years of moving back and forth. The battery is only 1 or 2 months old.

Back