Bad Voltage Regulator ...OR?

When I looked, it appeared the new one could sit on top of the existing bracket - have to relocate the tipover switch - but the harness is too short.

... it appeared the new one could sit on top of the existing bracket ... .

You really need to try it & see, Paul - we can address the harness as previously outlined if it will fit - remember also that the swing-arm (drive shaft) is not going to be static as it is when you are just looking at it parked - suspension is going to be compressing, reducing the space so you need to consider what it will be like under maximum compression - 2 up and going over a pot-hole or bump.
As you indicate the TOS will have to be relocated but of course has to remain in same vertical orientation, otherwise can go anywhere.

I *did* try it -- that's how I know the harness won't allow it.

Okay @Joesmoe, here is the tentative mount. I have a few more things to do as well as position the actual R/R on the plate to make sure it clears the infill panel. I positioned it about where you have yours tied on.

It is quite labor and time intensive to make, but I did make some jigs to accurately repeat the bending process. The custom clamp I made that goes around the frame is the worse. I have to drill and then remove a portion of the center to get it flexible enough to go around the frame. The whole thing mounts very solid. I'll try and mount the R/R to the plate and check for clearance. I'll post a picture when it's all in and hooked up.

Attachments

• 20180514_142012.jpg
    20180514_142012.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180514_193407.jpg
    20180514_193407.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180514_193657.jpg
    20180514_193657.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 9
You are amazing ! I just love your work.

So if you can do that, you could also make the clamp to put that where the original was, I should think.

Please remember, the only reason mine is mounted where it is, is because the harness is too short to turn it to a different orientation to go in the back and clear everything.

@DEcosse has now rectified that by fabricating an extension harness for the R/R.

I would be happy to pay for two, sending one to you, to allow you to work your magic in the back.

Last edited:
You are amazing ! I just love your work.

So if you can do that, you could also make the clamp to put that where the original was, I should think.

Please remember, the only reason mine is mounted where it is, is because the harness is too short to turn it to a different orientation to go in the back and clear everything.

@DEcosse has now rectified that by fabricating a extension harness for the R/R.

I would be happy to pay for two, sending one to you, to allow you to work your magic in the back.

I guess I won't know until I actually pull the other one out and see if it could be positioned differently in that spot. Since I have not actually gotten everything out of the way it is hard for me to tell. If DEcosse can make up some extension harnesses I guess anything is possible.

Took me forever to find to what that bracket for the R/R reports
(You like the grammar? :D My primary school teacher taught me never to end a sentence with a preposition!) :laugh:

Here it is

Std/Roadster - Triumphcenteruppsala.se - Sveriges största reservdelsshop för Triumph-delar

Touring - Triumphcenteruppsala.se - Sveriges största reservdelsshop för Triumph-delar

You will see that the Battery Boxes are different parts for the two variants - but the main difference is on the part of the bracket that attaches the box to the shield (lower fender)
It looks like the bracket on which the R/R mounts, is essentially same.
Of course that bracket is welded to the box.

Here are some pics I sourced off EBay

Touring one first .........

battery_box_Touring.jpg

Std/Roadster

battery_box_1.jpg
battery_box_2.jpg
battery_box_3.jpg

So if I understand correctly @Joesmoe you would like to see a bracket that mounts onto the smaller upper part of the bracket (actually for the TOS Switch) and the R/R located so is mounted 90 deg rotated (and inverted from stock with fins facing up) with the connectors facing left?

bracket_Touring.jpg

I'm assuming the TOS switch could be relocated to the bottom side ............

Incidentally I now see my earlier question about interference during suspension compression was complete rubbish :D

Took me forever to find to what that bracket for the R/R reports
(You like the grammar? :D My primary school teacher taught me never to end a sentence with a preposition!) :laugh:

Interesting @DEcosse ....Although I haven't tried to see how it would fit, this is the problem I see @Joesmoe. The R/R is 4"x4" or 100mm X 100mm not counting the mounting ears. Tack on another 3/4" or 20mm more for the connectors sticking out and then add in the additional space the connecting terminals are going to take. When you add all that up even rotating the R/R 90 degrees, the frame member is still in the way and would not allow that to be done. Rebuilding the battery box is not an option...who would think about even wanting to do that?

The relocating under the side cover is the best option in my opinion and I'm not sure what you were actually going to do with that now empty space. You mentioned you would like to free it up.

I ran out of time today so I didn't do the full replacement of the R/R. I had to do a couple minor tweaks on my mounting plate to get the kind of clearance I wanted from the panel and still allow clearance for the connectors. Rock solid on the mount. I should be good.

Attachments

• 20180515_154748.jpg
    20180515_154748.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180515_154755.jpg
    20180515_154755.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180515_154759.jpg
    20180515_154759.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180515_154608.jpg
    20180515_154608.jpg