Avon Tires- Have You Heard This?

PEKAY

.020 Over
Ride
2015 ROCKET ROADSTER
Bought a new Avon Cobra tire to install on my Roadster front end(just put a new Avon 240 on the rear). This is my 3rd set of Avon Cobras. Fantastic tires, grip like glue, never an issue of any sort. I went to a local Honda dealer to have the new Cobra mounted and balanced which they said they would do for $35 but refused to perform the service because the tire was an Avon. Their reason was because they had 12 examples of Avon tire failures. One such failure was due to tire separation. The dealership owner contacted Avon and Avon told him the rider must have hit something or ran over something to cause the damage. Has anyone here heard of Avon failures like this...I know I haven’t and I plan to still install the new Cobra.

I just did a web search to see if there are any reported issues with the Avons and could find only one report of a tire separation with an Avon on a Harley web site.

If there was an issue of concern, the NTSB would be getting involved because failures would be, or should be reported. People embellish stories and frequency and if this dealership knew of 12 failures, and did not report them, shame on them.

Bought a new Avon Cobra tire to install on my Roadster front end(just put a new Avon 240 on the rear). This is my 3rd set of Avon Cobras. Fantastic tires, grip like glue, never an issue of any sort. I went to a local Honda dealer to have the new Cobra mounted and balanced which they said they would do for $35 but refused to perform the service because the tire was an Avon. Their reason was because they had 12 examples of Avon tire failures. One such failure was due to tire separation. The dealership owner contacted Avon and Avon told him the rider must have hit something or ran over something to cause the damage. Has anyone here heard of Avon failures like this...I know I haven’t and I plan to still install the new Cobra.
Yes, someone on this site posted a pic on a blown tire. Think it was Avon.

When the Cobras FIRST came out, there were a couple of blow outs and separations. Avon has since corrected the issue. If you look around at all the failure posts on the web, you'll find they're from the same time frame and then it all stops.

Ride on, Avons rock, Honda dealership is just being a ****ter.

Back