The thing that puzzles me is that people say this tire or that tire have more grip. I can't imagine how people know that, I'm a bit of a hooligan, but the only way you would know that is if you lost grip, I can't imagine taking curves on an 800+ lb bike fast enough that it slides sideways, they all have good grip as far as I can tell.
I've had some unnerving moments on Metzelers where the bike either felt unstable or actually slid... not all at high-speed; such as a tight on-ramp in the rain or going across dry crosswalk paint at only 10-15mph... I've never had the problem with Cobra's.
-MIG

The thing that puzzles me is that people say this tire or that tire have more grip. I can't imagine how people know that, I'm a bit of a hooligan, but the only way you would know that is if you lost grip, I can't imagine taking curves on an 800+ lb bike fast enough that it slides sideways, they all have good grip as far as I can tell.
New to New yes prob hard to tell once they have warmed up. But I just came off a worn Metzler and coming out of a turn and trying to grab 3rd the back end would spin and slide where as the new chrome bites in and just goes

I reccomend the fobo
Be cause i have gotten lazy in my old age. I used to try an check the pressure the nite before a 150 mile run. I ran mine lower than anyone here so i had to keep a close eye on them.
Now i get up while sitting in my chair tap a couple of buttons on the phone and see the numbers.
The thing that i don't like is u have to be online to get the info and i have limited data and do not leave mine on all the time so as to get warnings if it is leaking.

Last time I was at Maggie Valley. I had the rear end kick out on a tight curve on my K1200GT. It was a miraculous recovery, I thought I was doing some fancy riding, until I checked the rear tire pressure. 22 lbs. 😬

One thing the Avon doesn't protect you from are turns riding on a slurry seal patch job on hot days. It's like an E ticket ride leaning into a turn and hitting a melting patch job and you feel yourself slide a few inches and your ass grabs the seat and doesn't release for a few minutes which makes it difficult to dismount. I digress. When it comes to slurry the Avon is like every other tire. A great tire none the less.:thumbsup:

I have run a lot of tires on my bike including a darkside. Have settled on the Avon Chromes. Over all performance In all types of weather is outstanding. Better traction with the Chromes then the old Cobras. I will replace the tires again before the bike is finished. I do run the stock sizes due to the stability on the highway. If i lived somewhere that had a lot of turns and fun places to ride i would drop to the smaller front tire. Oklahoma has a lot to offer but not good turns and twist. :):):):)

Kevin- do you recommend the Fobo? Thinking about getting one.

Also, the rear Chromes are waaay more expensive than the Exedra Max, so I've never tried the rears. You burn through tires too- really, really, worth it?

The Chrome I tried once on the front was nice, at first, but Avons always end up cupping on me. I keep going back to the Dunlop American Elite, which I don't hear much about on this site.
Yes the fobo2 are very good, very accurate. change the battery and thats it. I like the exedra or chrome, both are smooth no bounce like the dunlop i had one. On the front i only use exedra max, they last and hold when loading in the turns.

Back