At the dealership - 2018 Rocket to get 2500 ccs

The UK dealerships still say that the Rocket is ended never to be manufactured again. All the regulations prohibit manufacture. Great if you own one - they can only appreciate in value similar to the large muscle bikes GSX1400 and SHE.

For all of you asking for more power, realize and know that Yamaha did just that with there latest Vmax...that bike has ALL the electronic nonsense, is 200HP, runs 9 second 1/4 miles and simply DID NOT SELL in the states. I still see dealers with brand new 2012/2013 models heavily discounted.

Honda redid the Valkryie and it DID NOT SELL. Yes, it was simply a rebadged Goldwing but it was pretty good looking and had 120lb weight loss compared to the Goldwing...Cool looking dash etc...I almost bought one this winter brand new out the door for 8999 USD!!! New they were 16K!!!! One of the dealers I called told me he had every color, to come pick whatever one I wanted!

The big cruiser market is a very tough one indeed. For the life of me I cannot understand how ANYONE can go out and buy a slow fat pig like a HD Fatboy for 20K and not select the rocket for around 13K (after haggling on the price of course). The rocket destroys all other big cruisers in speed (except for the vmax) and handling and braking and reliability. It really is a great bargain compared to the competition but yet it is a very slow seller.

With companies like victory going away and slow MC sales in general I can't imagine triumph putting any money into the rocket. I can see them discontinuing it actually, not improving it. Most bike companies (like BMW) have focused there attention on the 700/800CC class bikes and scooters. That seems to be where the money is for some reason.

The other problem I see with the bike market is the INSANE high prices of new bikes. BMW, Hardley, Ducati, KTM and even the Jap bikes are all getting the prices well into the 20K range...I was at the Hardley dealer the other day and there big dreaming eagle cruiser is 42K!!!!

Seriously???? Motorcycling for most of us is a hobby or past time. This is not my primary mode of transport, especially considering how brutal the winter is where I live. These companies need to realize that most of us are not willing to drop that kind of money into something we rarely use!

There in lies the balance.

Motorcyclists are a small subset of the population.

Motorcyclists that think they want a 200mph+ missile that runs sub 10s in street trim are a small subset of that.

Those that want that performance on a cruiser instead of a sportbike... tiny tiny tiny subset. Those that want it can get it for $22,000 or less already from carpenter.

The trick is building a bike that's fast enough to thrill without terrifying people so much they won't ride it again, and that's long been the 200hp, 1/4 mile at right around 10 seconds mark. Coincidentally it's right about where my bike is right now, and I'd dare say most (non-R3 owners) riders would be terrified of it.

There's also the issue of tire technology and traction, there isn't a tire I've found yet that can cope with the power of the R3 in adverse conditions.

Somewhere in this scuttlebutt there might be a grain of truth....My third hand information is that for markets that will continue to get a Rocket, the updates will be largely aesthetic! Like maybe a fairing.....maybe 6th gear.....who knows?

There in lies the balance.

Motorcyclists are a small subset of the population.

Motorcyclists that think they want a 200mph+ missile that runs sub 10s in street trim are a small subset of that.

Those that want that performance on a cruiser instead of a sportbike... tiny tiny tiny subset. Those that want it can get it for $22,000 or less already from carpenter.

The trick is building a bike that's fast enough to thrill without terrifying people so much they won't ride it again, and that's long been the 200hp, 1/4 mile at right around 10 seconds mark. Coincidentally it's right about where my bike is right now, and I'd dare say most (non-R3 owners) riders would be terrified of it.

There's also the issue of tire technology and traction, there isn't a tire I've found yet that can cope with the power of the R3 in adverse conditions.
WELL IF YOU THINK ITS FAST NOW wait till you get it running correctly VOOM VOOM you will be IMPRESSED

Do you think they'll stiil keep the red stripes or have to slow it down with white ones. Wonder if we'd get a small can of Mr Sheen in the toolkit for emergencies?

Somewhere in this scuttlebutt there might be a grain of truth....My third hand information is that for markets that will continue to get a Rocket, the updates will be largely aesthetic! Like maybe a fairing.....maybe 6th gear.....who knows?
Scuttlebutt hmm someone sounds like a ex squid :)

Are there not one or more "flagship" motorcycle shows where new models are unveiled, and concept teasers are shown ? Would we not see something in the works from that ?
I think we did Paul. Remember the post by BillyIndiana It's a Secret? This was at the Chicago IMS bike show and they were showing people 3D renderings of the supposed new Rocket. This post just adds a bit of meat to the rumour.

Hope it's true.

Back