Anyone have a spare heat shield screw?

So a few weeks ago I got the screw that was missing from bikebandit.com and I was a happy camper once again. While I was waiting for the screw to show up I went around and made sure that all the screws were tight. So I'm driving down the 405(right were the 405 meets the 101 which has to be one of the hairiest sections of freeway in L.A.) with my girlfriend on the back and I go to downshift and the shifter bottoms out. Luckily I was doing about 80 so I had enough momentum to pull the Rocket of the road safely. Turns out a nut on the shifter linkage came off. What the hell is up with the triumph assembly line!
I love the Rocket! From an engineering standpoint I couldn't be happier but WTF!
Luckily there was a hardware store near by. I had to zip-tie the linkage together and very gingerly shift my way over there. I was able to find a self locking nut that fit perfectly, which I decided to leave on 'cause I know that little SOB aint commin' off, but that could have ended really badly had I not been going that fast(how is that for an argument for speeding!?:) ) Now I feel like I have to tear ALL the hardware on the bike apart to make sure it's all snuggly put on. Before the Rocket I owned 3 Suzuki's and never had this problem. I'm not saying that Suzuki’s are that well put together I'm just saying when you buy a new bike you shouldn't have to tear it apart to make sure it's not going to fall apart on you while you're on the road!
It looks like Triumph used loctite but it got smeared all over the shank and missed the threads completely.
I’m not giving up on the Rocket or Triumph I’m just frustrated.

Back