Anyone else using Rotella 5w 40?

Ugarte

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I ran the stock Mobil syn up to 10k, then switched to Amsoil 10 40 for the next 40k, then Motul for the last 10k, and now have Rotella 5w 40 in the Rocket. Have put a couple hundred miles on the beast since and it seems to run nice and smooth and shifts smoothly too (well, as smoothly as can be expected of the Rocket). I also use the Rotella 5 40 in my KLR 650.

I really like this oil, its only about $5 per quart, and you can get it just about anywhere. I gave up on the Amsoil because it always had to be special ordered.

..yes, I switched out the Triumph 10w40 or whatever they used when they did my service, to Shell Rotella 5w40 fully synthetic because of hard starting when it was cold..the service manager (on the phone) recommended 5w40..he didn't say what kind.. as long as it doesn't say energy conserving on the little round back label on the jug, I think it will be ok..(safe for the clutches)..I've also got in my Honda..when the weather warms up, I will switch back over to a little heavier oil..

If you have been running the Shell Rotella 5w-40 "synthetic", get an oil analysis done the next time you change your oil.

First, The oils available a couple of years ago, are not the same thing available today. Automotive and diesel oils have dropped (to less than half) the amount of ZDDP (Zinc and phosphorus) high load protection additive in their oils in order to get the latest oil spec rating. This started in 2006, so the automotive manufacturers can get over 100,000 miles from the catalytic converters.

Second, Rotella 5w-40 is not a true synthetic base. It is a highly refined mineral base oil. This is fine for low revving engines, but some bikes do not do well with this base - especially the cams and valvetrain.

Last, run whatever oil you want. Big Boy Rules apply. But become informed as to the latest changes in automotive over the counter oils, and bike specific oils - especially in bikes that use the same oil for the trans gears.

I ran the stock Mobil syn up to 10k, then switched to Amsoil 10 40 for the next 40k, then Motul for the last 10k, and now have Rotella 5w 40 in the Rocket. Have put a couple hundred miles on the beast since and it seems to run nice and smooth and shifts smoothly too (well, as smoothly as can be expected of the Rocket). I also use the Rotella 5 40 in my KLR 650.

I really like this oil, its only about $5 per quart, and you can get it just about anywhere. I gave up on the Amsoil because it always had to be special ordered.

Our KLR's are different animals. I use 15-40 Rotella in my KLR. I considered the 5-40 but I seem to have lots of 15-40 on hand (55 gallon drum) so that's what I use. I have switched the automobiles to 5-40. My diesels are still on 15-40 until I deplete the the drum and then I'll switch over to 5-40 but I'll keep the KLR on the 15-40.

I posted on the other site (that you and I are familiar with) that 15-40 Rotella T meets the JASO MA standard although Shell prefers not to advertise that fact. It also meets the API GL 3-4 standard for gear train wear and boundary lubrication. Again, Shell prefers not to advertise that fact in as much as 15-40 Rotella's primary market is Class 6-7 & 8 truck engines.....How do I know that? I know a Shell Chemist in Bayonne, New Jersey.

The problem with using any oil not labelled JASO-MA (Rotella, T, 15-40 or 5-40 Synthetic) is that in the event of a lubricant related claim, Triumph, at their discretion, can disallow any warranty related remedy. Kawasaki also prefers a JASO MA rated oil. The big difference between the KLR and the R3 is that the KLR has no INSERT BEARINGS WHEREAS THE R3 HAS INSERT BEARINGS AND NO INSERTS IN THE CAM BEARINGS. The KLR can survive just fine on a non-certified lubricant because it depends less on boundary lubrication and film thickness, even though Kawasaki prefers a JASO-MA rated oil. I would think that if you don't have the Schintz 685-705 kit installed (I think you do), that your oil consumption would go up appreciably with the 5-40 simply because the 5-40 flows like a 5 weight at room temperature but has the film thickness of a 40 weight as well. Multigrade oils are a compromise at best.

Consequently, I'd use a JASO-MA labelled oil like Mobil 4T Racing or Amsoil or Royal Purple or even 7th Gear. They all carry the JASO-MA certification. I believe that you'll find Amsoil at Murray's Auto Parts now as well as Pep Boys. The Stuff (although expensive) is everywhere. I'll be offering 7th Gear shortly on my webiste. I'll also be switching all my bikes to it as they need their lubricants changed. Everything is in the certification, especially if any warranty related claims come to light and we all know that the R3 seems to develop bearing problems in some units. I prefer not to play Russian Roulette. However, that's your choice. Also remember, we aren't running the oil in the KLR's nearly as long as the R3. The KLR gets a new lubricant fill (and possibly a filter change) twice to three times as often as the R3. They are both (in stock form) basically low revving, moderate compression engines, the big difference is in the bearings and to a lesser extent, the oil change interval.

If you have been running the Shell Rotella 5w-40 "synthetic", get an oil analysis done the next time you change your oil.

First, The oils available a couple of years ago, are not the same thing available today. Automotive and diesel oils have dropped (to less than half) the amount of ZDDP (Zinc and phosphorus) high load protection additive in their oils in order to get the latest oil spec rating. This started in 2006, so the automotive manufacturers can get over 100,000 miles from the catalytic converters.

Second, Rotella 5w-40 is not a true synthetic base. It is a highly refined mineral base oil. This is fine for low revving engines, but some bikes do not do well with this base - especially the cams and valvetrain.

Last, run whatever oil you want. Big Boy Rules apply. But become informed as to the latest changes in automotive over the counter oils, and bike specific oils - especially in bikes that use the same oil for the trans gears.

Not sure what Big Boy Rules are......

To me it's all about reading the label and checking the certifications, making sure the applicable certifications correspond with the OEM requirements.

The rule here is stick with a properly rated lubricant, in this case a JASO-MA rated oil. JASO-MA (Japanese Automobile Standards Organization - Motorcycle Applicable) rated oil is what you want, especially in light of the R3's internal problems. I'm not saying that Triumph would do a spectroscopic analysis on an oil sample coming from your engine if you had a warranty related claim, especially a lubrication related claim, but, better be safe than sorry. Personally, I had Amsoil 20-50 in my engine with an Emgo filter when it got ugly and there was no question on the repair. Had I had 5-40 or 15-40 Rotella in the engine and when the technician took it apart, if he observed a boundary lubrication deficiency (and that's pretty easy to ascertain) and they did a spectroscopic analysis on the lube oil and found out what I was using, I'm sure Triumph would have told me to stuff it. Remember, all oils have a distinct fingerprint that is easily read during a spectroscopic analysis. Basically, you can't fool mom. Why try.

There are many JASO-MA rated lubricants on the market. I've listed a few in the previous paragraphs.

Oil to me is like mouthwash. It's all the same to a point and that point is the API or the JASO rating.

Big Boy Rules - Do what you want, but take responsibility for your actions.

There is a LOT more to oil protection than specifications.
The specs are to establish a minimum, but 10 oils with the same spec rating on the label will break down at different rates, and offer different viscosity at different local engine temps - such as bearing or cam/spring temps under operating conditions. Tear down enough engines, and you see what protects under what conditions, and what does not.

This is not to say that the Rotella T 5w-40 is a bad oil. I simply recommend a $20-$30 oil analysis to make sure it works for your needs. I have seen issues in some engines using this oil.

My .02 (before inflation and currency devaluation). ;)

Big Boy Rules - Do what you want, but take responsibility for your actions.

There is a LOT more to oil protection than specifications.
The specs are to establish a minimum, but 10 oils with the same spec rating on the label will break down at different rates, and offer different viscosity at different local engine temps - such as bearing or cam/spring temps under operating conditions. Tear down enough engines, and you see what protects under what conditions, and what does not.

This is not to say that the Rotella T 5w-40 is a bad oil. I simply recommend a $20-$30 oil analysis to make sure it works for your needs. I have seen issues in some engines using this oil.

My .02 (before inflation and currency devaluation). ;)

There is, as far as the oil companies are concerned and there is as far as the consumer is concerned. What a person has to do is filter the propaganda from facts and the easiest way to do that is to use any brand so long as it meets or exceeds the specifications set forth by the OEM.

Now I've heard and read that Mobil is in bed with Triumph and vice-versa but frankly, I could care less. What I do care about is what product meets the criteria set forth by the OEM and what product don't.

At that point it's very easy to make a determination. Snake oil is still snake oil no matter how much you pay or how little you pay. Me, I like Marvel Mystery Oil. It's a mystery why I do, but I do. Do I use it in my engines? No. I do use it in my air tools and I use it on my firearms but not in my engine. I guess I like the way it smells or something.

Oil has come a long way from the parrafin based oil of the 60's and earlier to the synthetic and synthetic blends of today. One thing hasn't changed and that is the American Petroleum Institute and the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization guidelines for lubricants. They are still on board doing what they do best, testing and grading lubricants.

Thanks for all the info guys. My decision to go ahead with the Rotella T was based mostly on these two websites:

All About Motor Oil

Three Consecutive Rotella T UOAs - Bob Is The Oil Guy

There are only three good reasons to choose a particular oil:

1. It makes you feel good to have it in your (bike, car, tractor, whatever)
2. Better engine performance/feel.
3. Longer engine life

Rotella T passes ther first two in both my bikes. Regarding number 3, I guess we will just have to wait on that cuz I am staying with the Rotella T till the cows come home.

From All About Motor Oil

Interestingly, for 2007, the engine manufacturers are going to initiate an additive package change in C rated Group II oils so that the oil won't contaminate the catalytic convertors and related emission componetry on the 2007 compliant engines due out this January.

Which means:

Oil companies are cutting back on zinc and phosphorous, as these metals are hard on your catalytic converters. They're substituting molybdenum disulfide, which lowers friction and improves gas mileage. It also causes problems for people with wet clutches, that is most motorcycles.

As Wayne as pointed out. So I would double check and see what the difference is between the Rotella you buy off the shelf today versus the Rotella of 2006.

Last edited:
Back