An R+D Thread - Different instruments.

I received a sub-harness from @Rocket Scientist along with a 'failed' set of Original Instruments to take a look to see if there was anything I could find:

Original analysis didn't show anything obvious on the board and without a schematic I was unable to do much real 'active' analysis;

However when I pulled out the harness to create the diagrams above, I did see this .............

Speedo_connector.jpg

^That is the one that mates to the main harness - NOT PRETTY!!
(on the mating side, the terminals looked clean however - interestingly there was evidence of dielectric grease on the mating side, but not the wire side)

I'm not sure if that had any bearing on the failure mode - I did not notice it when testing out the module.
I suspect not because I know instrument replacement has resolved this issue (and presumably the original sub-harness was re-used)
Whether or not it contributed to the instrument hard-failure remains open however ............

I will try to clean it up and re-test the module I have to see if it makes difference (again, suspect it won't - my power connections were clipped directly to the wires via positaps )
Yikes - Soak in white vinegar for a week.

I believe it is this one that mates to the one on the Main Harness:

- see page 5-8

Main_Harness_Speedo_Connector.jpg

Note that the image in the link does not reflect the actual part - see the product drawing (above) for confirmation

The Plug (Female Terminals) is 174047-2 (On the Main Harness) - on Left of drawing above.
The Cap (Male Terminals) is 175652-2 (on Speedo Sub-Harness) - on right of drawing above

Male Terminal Cap:

F5306319-02.jpg

In US available at Mouser -

(note that you also needs the terminals, available separately)

In Europe from RS - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/5306319/

Here are some Interconnect Diagrams I created:

Speed_Interconnect.jpg

(note interestingly that although there is a wire in the Main Harness Connector for the Illumination, it is unused on the Speedo Sub-Harness that I have on-hand)

It is VERY IMPORTANT to note that the OEM speedo put OUT a switched 12V on Pin 18 (B/Y) which is REQUIRED to drive the speed Sender - when installing an after-market Speedo Cluster this B/Y MUST be connected to a switched 12V source (i.e. connect it to Ignition Power since your after-market gauge will not have this provision)

See also these threads for more on the subject

Potential Replacement for failed instruments on Classics

Instrument Replacement
Great info as usual Ken,
Can i assume this dash upgrade wont work on a Roadster????

... Can i assume this dash upgrade wont work on a Roadster????
Assumption correct Tony - the Roadster gauges are CANBUS so many of the signals into it (incl the speed and rpm) are digitally encoded.

I have not tried the Roadster but on other Triumph Keihin ECU CANBUS models of that generation, the bike will not start without the gauges being connected.
Can someone perhaps test/validate that?
(If the bike WILL start without the gauges being connected, it would still be possible to connect after-market non-CANBUS gauges, but wiring would be different (and not everything available at the Main Harness Instrument Connector Interface)

Assumption correct Tony - the Roadster gauges are CANBUS so many of the signals into it (incl the speed and rpm) are digitally encoded.

I have not tried the Roadster but on other Triumph Keihin ECU CANBUS models of that generation, the bike will not start without the gauges being connected.
(If the bike WILL start without the gauges being connected, it would still be possible to connect after-market non-CANBUS gauges, but wiring would be different (and not everything available at the Main Harness Instrument Connector Interface)

If you can point me to the connector, I can test this weekend. I need to remove the bars and upper yoke to reroute front brake line, a couple minutes to test this won't hurt me any. Assuming the wife gives me time away from packing the house to work on the bike that is.

If you can point me to the connector, I can test this weekend. I need to remove the bars and upper yoke to reroute front brake line, a couple minutes to test this won't hurt me any. Assuming the wife gives me time away from packing the house to work on the bike that is.
You moving again? Didn't you just move to Florida. I certainly do not envy you!

You moving again? Didn't you just move to Florida. I certainly do not envy you!

Yeah, less than a year in Florida. Staying in South Florida, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, just a different suburb.

We are restructuring my IT department this year, so I have to stick around for another year while things stabilize. Next year, probably moving to the west coast, Portland/Seattle area, or Denver. Hopefully that is the last move. Packing a 3000sqft house is not something you consider lightly lol

Yeah, less than a year in Florida. Staying in South Florida, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, just a different suburb.

We are restructuring my IT department this year, so I have to stick around for another year while things stabilize. Next year, probably moving to the west coast, Portland/Seattle area, or Denver. Hopefully that is the last move. Packing a 3000sqft house is not something you consider lightly lol

Yeah my oldies did it every 3-4 years from before my birth with career changes and diplomatic service etc - an absolute PITA.

Ah another reason not to own a roadster!!!!

Back