Dragline708,

I agree. My opinion has always been that those who served during WWII will always be the true heroes. During my generation and up until today when you are deployed to a combat zone, you go for a tour of duty. When those guys left home, it was for the whole ballgame. Bless them and all who did not return from the past and present battles. Rest in peace, you will not be forgotten.

Dragline708,

I agree. My opinion has always been that those who served during WWII will always be the true heroes. During my generation and up until today when you are deployed to a combat zone, you go for a tour of duty. When those guys left home, it was for the whole ballgame. Bless them and all who did not return from the past and present battles. Rest in peace, you will not be forgotten.

Well said, britman.

I'm currently serving on one of those 'tours of duty', though we now call them deployments... and this, compared to the writings I've been privy to, is nothing at all like it was back then.

MIA/KIA/POW: You will not be forgotten.

My dad is one of them vets of the GREATEST GENERATION.
My wifes dad was too, he passed on last year. She has his medals, flag, ect. He had a 21 gun salute at the gravesite. Made me proud and I only knew him about 15 years. He was somethin.
To all you guys who served, THANK YOU from one grateful American. xhdskip

My Grandfather was one of those brave souls that was on board the landing crafts that hit the beachs & you took off on your own. He made it back to America but would not talk about the experience, other than to say it was "Bad" and what he saw was unreal.

I wish all Americans could experience the feelings those brave men did during those times in our history. Maybe then this country would not be falling apart as it is, and the appreciation level would be driving more respect for those around us. We would know what America is really all about.

Thank you Grandpa, and to all your comrads through the years. And to all those Americans that backed you in other ways. We pray for all of you and your courage, and hope for many others to follow your lead, to allow us to live as free as we please.

We love you!

+ 1 to all, God Bless America now and forever more....... May we remember those who stood in harms way so that we may live. They are our most cherished souls. May they humble me evermore........

greg

semper fi

amen to all...
wwII, korea, vietnam...
and he's still kickin'
(give credit to knowing the way of the olive ;))

Last edited:
It truly was the "greatest generation." Both my grandfathers served in Europe in WWII. One is still living....his mother died when he was 6 months old, his father died when he was 6 years old. Joined the Kansas National Guard after the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, then joined the 101st Airborne soon there after. He served in 506th Parachute Infantry, Company D. Two combat jumps; Normandy on D-Day and Holland. They were trucked into Bastogne. He was wounded there and is proud to be one of the "Battered Bastards of Bastogne." Not too many stories like that anymore. And I couldn't ask for a better grandfather or role model. Hopefully he'll be around long enough for my son to remember him.

Back