Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I rode with @scot in exile one day at Maggie Valley and during that ride he got me to thinking about this whole hi viz thing.

I've been considering doing this for a while, so when it was time for a new helmet I too made the switch to puke green.

As long as the bike looks good I can live with the hit to my coolness factor.

I know, I know, this will do zero to repel cagers texting on their phones, but should help with the remaining 20% of drivers who are just in a perpetual zombie state.

Jacket - Joe Rocket Atomic, which is affordable, has great ventilation, protection, and is weather proof.

Helmet - Schuberth C3 Pro, small profile, light, quiet, modular, internal sun visor. I found a sweet deal from Chromeburners in the Netherlands.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 10.39.32 AM.jpeg

Who else has gone hi viz out there and/or thinking about it? I can already hear some say that they'd "rather be caught dead......" Maybe, hope not.

I rode with @scot in exile one day at Maggie Valley and during that ride he got me to thinking about this whole hi viz thing.

I've been considering doing this for a while, so when it was time for a new helmet I too made the switch to puke green.

As long as the bike looks good I can live with the hit to my coolness factor.

I know, I know, this will do zero to repel cagers texting on their phones, but should help with the remaining 20% of drivers who are just in a perpetual zombie state.

Jacket - Joe Rocket Atomic, which is affordable, has great ventilation, protection, and is weather proof.

Helmet - Schuberth C3 Pro, small profile, light, quiet, modular, internal sun visor. I found a sweet deal from Chromeburners in the Netherlands.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 10.39.32 AM.jpeg

Who else has gone hi viz out there and/or thinking about it? I can already hear some say that they'd "rather be caught dead......" Maybe, hope not.

It's good that you are thinking about being seen!!

I went with a Headlight Modulator to make me more visible. It really gets peoples attention!

It's good that you are thinking about being seen!!

I went with a Headlight Modulator to make me more visible. It really gets peoples attention!

Anything to help....

I've considered those modulators, but not sure. These Skene Lights seem like another good running light option...
https://www.skenelights.com/conspicuity-flicker

The flicker rate has been designed to optimize your motorcycle's visibility without being distracting or violating laws against flashing lights. The disappearance of the flicker when viewed directly eliminates any chance of target fixation (where an individual becomes so focused on an observed object that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object).

Our systems utilize a high-speed microprocessor and fast-acting, high-intensity LEDs to create our flicker by rapidly modulated the brightness of the LEDs. Our conspicuity flicker takes advantage of the difference in the persistence of vision of the cones in the human eye's central field of view compared to the rods in its peripheral view.

An exclusive feature of Skene Lights systems is our patented conspicuity flicker. This flicker dramatically increases your bike's visibility compared to normal running lights. The LED modules flicker when viewed out of the corner of the eye but the flicker disappears when viewed directly at a distance. The result is that Skene Lights effectively get the attention of inattentive drivers.​

Anything to help....

I've considered those modulators, but not sure. These Skene Lights seem like another good running light option...

The flicker rate has been designed to optimize your motorcycle's visibility without being distracting or violating laws against flashing lights. The disappearance of the flicker when viewed directly eliminates any chance of target fixation (where an individual becomes so focused on an observed object that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object).

Our systems utilize a high-speed microprocessor and fast-acting, high-intensity LEDs to create our flicker by rapidly modulated the brightness of the LEDs. Our conspicuity flicker takes advantage of the difference in the persistence of vision of the cones in the human eye's central field of view compared to the rods in its peripheral view.

An exclusive feature of Skene Lights systems is our patented conspicuity flicker. This flicker dramatically increases your bike's visibility compared to normal running lights. The LED modules flicker when viewed out of the corner of the eye but the flicker disappears when viewed directly at a distance. The result is that Skene Lights effectively get the attention of inattentive drivers.​

Modulators have to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - webBikeWorld

Take a look at Signal Dynamics modulator. It's made for a 2 headlight system and has a lot of features. Plug & Play™ Headlight Module

I've thought about it. But after 10 years I'm thinking it will be while before my triumph leather gear wears out so gloves and helmet would be my only choice :) I believe my next visibility will be to change over to LED headlights. Either by purchasing them or a new Rocket3GT :)
Guess I'm stuck for wuite some time :D

I've thought about it. But after 10 years I'm thinking it will be while before my triumph leather gear wears out so gloves and helmet would be my only choice :) I believe my next visibility will be to change over to LED headlights. Either by purchasing them or a new Rocket3GT :)

I'm surprised that you haven't already switched to LED headlights. It makes a huge difference. I could barely see at night with the stockers. I have....
Eagle Lights 5 3/4" Black Gen 3
but of course there are many other good choices too.

A good light to let you see the road is NOT the same as a good light to let others see you. Well unless they're lying on the road about 50 to 100 yards ahead.

Anything to help....

I had a set of those. Had them on my K1200RS, moved to my R1200GS, and finally to the R3T. Don't recall having anyone turn in front of me in all those years, but maybe they were just struck immobile by my stunning good looks.

Scott - JW SPEAKER ADAPTIVES. The new R3 is sadly deficient in this dept. Where's his honor @1olbull ?

Hi-Viz works best in blueish light conditions. Marvellous in the early dawn or an overcast day. I mean really outstandingly so.

The advantage fades in the reddish/yellowish hue of the evening or seriously intense midday sun closer to the equator.

Back