AIT temps rise fast to WELL above ambient (approx 15-20ºC) and it cannot be from under the tank.

Ran with this and it has a heat/air shield behind to fend off heat from above the engine

Sensor is in the filter and airflow.

Calling all folk logging their engine data via TORQUE or anything else.
I'm going to get my mate Jim in Maine to log his UNDERTANK solution.

Why do you have the heat shield then? I'm not convinced at all that it's an optimum location for a filter, and nor are you. In any case, you're missing the point of my preference for triples; all the crap you get rid of.

Why do you have the heat shield then? I'm not convinced at all that it's an optimum location for a filter, and nor are you. In any case, you're missing the point of my preference for triples; all the crap you get rid of.
There was a suggestion a heat shield would help - so I tried. I now KNOW.

So far the best all round solution I've tried is the Ramair behind Les's claw. No more/less heat but MUCH MUCH quieter. K&N's would work but Ken's claw blasts air onto the top of the filter - which on a K&N is rubber - on the Ramair is filterfoam. It get's VERY VERY dirty - dead wasps mainly.
Will be an interesting test to repeat allowing air to be drawn OFF the engine - Though I believe the wash off the rad will simply be too strong.
My tests are restricted to Thursdays really so will be a week before I do.
An Air-**** twixt filter and rad - ah now that would be fun to try. Maybe!

No - I'm with you - the filter intake needs to be above (or to one side of) and forward of the Radiator.
Shame the carpenter RAM-box is unfiltered as it looks nice too. I liked (actually loved) your tubey thing but it would attract too much LEO attention here - as would open 440's.
The Stage2 RamAir may well resolve as it should - like the carpenter - be sealed to stop rad-wash air being drawn in.

I can safely say I've been running a RAMAIR longer than anybody (I had the prototype) - not had one problem. But yes some have split. Most (I believe) have been replaced with no quibbles.

The filter pictured was the RAMAIR's PREDECESSOR - like the RAMAIR designed by Colin (Battersea) but built by ITG. ITG were unable to make something that would fit under the claw.

Of course I'm not missing your point - I'm merely saying HEAT is not the reason to ditch it.

Last edited:
deflector1.jpg deflector2.jpg
Some R&D thoughts - deflect hot air down and away.
May require asbestos boots.

Which ones did you go with @barbagris ?
I recently bought some Triumph Speed Triple 1050 08 OEM FRONT FORK FENDER FAIRING BRACKET PAIR with threaded brackets for Au$35 (US$27) delivered, just to save fabrication. They are angled plastic but a bit of foil insulation on the heat side should assist. I didn't check size prior to purchase but took pot luck and they are 55mm x 150mm (or 125mm if I trim the angled ends to make a match without gaps) and looks like they are a perfect fit side by side to length of RamAir even after after a 25mm trim. I may trim the ends so the edges can square up and provide full coverage. The brackets should make a mounting solution easier.

Last edited:
Hi Lenny

I went for the three K&N's under the bearclaw, but just yesterday my new K&N's arrived got them from Summit racing.com. Attached is a pic of the crap that can be gotten rid of under the tank etc, be amazed at Triumphs ability to reduce noise and power with it. First pic is of the new filters and how I'm going to mount them (not my bike in last pic but I think it looks right for an R3).
2mdnml1.jpg
Airbox system removed.jpg
New KandN Fitted.jpg

Air filter setup on top picture looks awesome. Is it the filters itself that tilt forward or some special rubber tubes required?

Those look similar to my 1770s, the attached boot tilts forward.
K&N RU-1770 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter, Universal Air Filters

May be one the 20 degree offset angled versions.

X-Stream® Air Flow Assemblies, Filters, and Filter Tops

More to fit R3 62mm TB?

K&N Question

K&N RX-3770 Universal X-Stream Clamp-On Air Filter, Universal Air Filters
Product Specifications
Air Filter Shape Round Tapered
Filter Material Cotton Gauze
Flange Inside Diameter 2.438 in (62 mm)
Flange Length 2.875 in (73 mm)
Flange Type Angled
Flange Angle 20 degrees
Flanges 1
Height 6.563 in (167 mm)
Base Outside Diameter 4.5 in (114 mm)
Top Outside Diameter 6 in (152 mm)
Top Style X-Stream
Top Material None
Package Contents 1 Air Filter
Package Quantity 1
Product Style Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Weight 1.6 lb (0.7 kg)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount 0.88 oz (26 ml)
Air Filter Large End Diameter 6 in (152 mm)
Product Box Height 11 in (279 mm)
Product Box Length 6.38 in (162 mm)
Product Box Width 6.38 in (162 mm)
Footnote 1 1/4-20 Jack Nut Into Top
Footnote 2 Base Has 25/64" Vent
RX-3770_Dim.jpg
RX-3770.jpg
RX-3770_Side.jpg

K&N RX-3800 Universal X-Stream Clamp-On Air Filter, Universal Air Filters
Product Specifications
Air Filter Shape Round Tapered
Filter Material Cotton Gauze
Flange Inside Diameter 2.438 in (62 mm)
Flange Length 2.938 in (75 mm)
Flange Type Angled
Flange Angle 20 degrees
Flanges 1
Height 6.563 in (167 mm)
Base Outside Diameter 4.5 in (114 mm)
Top Outside Diameter 4 in (102 mm)
Top Style X-Stream
Top Material None
Package Contents 1 Air Filter
Package Quantity 1
Product Style Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Weight 1.3 lb (0.6 kg)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount 0.62 oz (18 ml)
Air Filter Large End Diameter 4.5 in (114 mm)
Product Box Height 11 in (279 mm)
Product Box Length 6.38 in (162 mm)
Product Box Width 6.38 in (162 mm)
Footnote 1 Base Has 25/64" Vent
RX-3800_Dim.jpg
RX-3800.jpg
RX-3800_Side.jpg
RX-3800_Alt.jpg

Last edited:
Air filter setup on top picture looks awesome. Is it the filters itself that tilt forward or some special rubber tubes required?

HI Jim99

They are nto the filters pictured above these will not look as per the picture. Each filter needs a different length bend to stagger them correctly, was a major pain to figure out. This is quite an old post and on another post there's pics that will show tubing better, I used silicone tube from a speed shop 30deg from memory, and plastic tubing to adapt.

Will post a better pic when back on other computer that has my bike pics on it
Link Removed

HI Jim99

They are nto the filters pictured above these will not look as per the picture. Each filter needs a different length bend to stagger them correctly, was a major pain to figure out. This is quite an old post and on another post there's pics that will show tubing better, I used silicone tube from a speed shop 30deg from memory, and plastic tubing to adapt.

Will post a better pic when back on other computer that has my bike pics on it

Link Removed

Back