K&N Air box delete...stuck?

Bondysbike

Turbocharged
Ride
Rocket Roadster
I need yer help again folks. I ordered and received what I trusted was everything need to eliminate the air box by installed what was called 'the K&N air box delete kit" The kit arrived - it has 3 high flow air filters. 1 crankcase filter. 1 crankcase vent filter. That was it. It looked sparse so I called the dealer to check everything I needed was here before I start (Im an enthusiastic but completely crap mechanic!) as there were no instructions. I went to the K&N site...no instructions. I went on google...no instructions. Finally I saw a great step by step install video for a RAm Air kit...should be the same I thought so I watched it and off I went. Ripped everything out and started installing he K&N bits...THEN the guy in the video says "now take the EXTENSION WIRING HARNESS FOR THE IAT SENSOR...I HAVE NOT GOT ONE?

They also include 2 crank case vent filters a 5/8 and a 3/4. what size should I use

So...this is where Im stuck...should i have had one or do I need this????

thanks as always!!!!

The iat extension is only with the ramair kit. Just put the iat inside one of the small filters and put it in fresh air that your wiring will allow.

I had @DEcosse make me an extension. Sorry I can’t give a price as I had a few cable extension made all at once.

The iat fits inside a 5/8 inlet filter. Not sure on crankcase, I used the one from ramair kit

The iat extension is only with the ramair kit. Just put the iat inside one of the small filters and put it in fresh air that your wiring will allow.

I had @DEcosse make me an extension. Sorry I can’t give a price as I had a few cable extension made all at once.

The iat fits inside a 5/8 inlet filter. Not sure on crankcase, I used the one from ramair kit

sorry I didn't understand a word of that :)

The rest I have not a clue I'm afraid. Under the tank there is a plug not attached to anything. ( actually there are 3 plugs not attached to anything but I think it was like this before.) This I think is where he was going to plug the extn I have not got. What is it you are saying put inside a filter? This might be why they included a 5/8 filter? If so what exactly am I putting in it and do you mean then just leave in the open to breath? ( Is the part I pulled from the old set up with the bulb sensor...is that what you mean?...If yes what does it plug into?)
thanks for helping out! ( would help if they at least had install instructions)

The "bulb sensor" is the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. That tells the computer (ECM) what the temp of the incoming air is (cooler=denser) so it knows what it's dealing with in order to better adjust the amount of fuel to use.

The three larger filters are obviously for the three Throttle Bodies (TB).

One of the smaller filters (5/8" - I think) is for the crankcase breather that runs from the right side if the crankcase under the stock air box to the stock air box. Disconnect the tube running from the crankcase breather nipple on the engine and put that filter directly on the nipple on the engine.

The other smaller filter (3/4") goes on the IAT. Locate it where ever you can, close to the throttle bodies so it gets a representative temperature for the air coming into them. Some kits use an extension cable to better position that filter. You can either extend that harness (cut/splice or whatever) OR do the best you can with what you have. The closer it is to the TBs, the better so it gets a true reading of what the air temp is that the engine is ingesting.

OK

Ok...quick trip to the Bike and now I gotcha...thank you again.
One question...regarding the O2 sensor and plugs and things ( Not included in my kit)...I’m about to install a PCV...will this take care of the O2 sensor issue....what a forum...superstars all!

The "bulb sensor" is the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. That tells the computer (ECM) what the temp of the incoming air is (cooler=denser) so it knows what it's dealing with in order to better adjust the amount of fuel to use.

The three larger filters are obviously for the three Throttle Bodies (TB).

One of the smaller filters (5/8" - I think) is for the crankcase breather that runs from the right side if the crankcase under the stock air box to the stock air box. Disconnect the tube running from the crankcase breather nipple on the engine and put that filter directly on the nipple on the engine.

The other smaller filter (3/4") goes on the IAT. Locate it where ever you can, close to the throttle bodies so it gets a representative temperature for the air coming into them. Some kits use an extension cable to better position that filter. You can either extend that harness (cut/splice or whatever) OR do the best you can with what you have. The closer it is to the TBs, the better so it gets a true reading of what the air temp is that the engine is ingesting.

Perfect...done what you said and fixed...thanks!

Back