Aftermarket woes

houkster

.020 Over
Boy am I getting tired of being under my bike!
Cat repl. and TORS was a bit loud for me and I've previously described the weird (to me) late 'burbling and popping' which shows up just below 2k rpm. With my 01 Moto Guzzi I'd get this strong growl as soon as I let off on the throttle. Great sound, but only 1100cc. What I've been getting is closer to backfiring.. Put on the stock cone shape end caps which made the sound less BLAH and a bit smoother and hoped it would get rid of most of the popping - didn't, fact maybe there was more or it just started irritating me . Decided to throw all 3 stockers back on and see how that worked. Of course on the LAST pipe I had a buggered gasket which I couldn't rework smooth. Tried to remove a gasket from another pipe. No patience, wrecked it. So I put 1 Tor (leftside) back on and started it up. Big difference between volume out of those pipes .
Question is: To those (at least) 2 of you who have left 1 or 2 stock pipes on : Are you getting the backfire still......is it subtle now.......what's your feeling on the sound?

Saw the recent post on the rpm/tps graphs. What's up with a code for the classic all of a sudden? Mine's the classic and I just got the 20055 code put in. Why would there be a difference with the Classic? Anyone out there actually have a connection with someone in the know at the factory? If Triumph has codes for their cat replacement and their aftermarket pipes, why is there still backfiring? Do they just richin it up a bit across the board. It's their product , couldn't they produce a map to properly address this combo?

Ive had popping on mine since fitting cat removal/tors , lived with it , but tuneboy has reduced it significantly . Triumphs maps do not seem to do this .

From the first time I bought my Classic, she has had the burbling and popping, especially on deceleration. I'm hoping that after my two year warrantie is up the Tuneboy will take care of all that .
All the Best,
Dog

That is the tune I am running Jeff , reduced popping a lot . Probably 90% better . Can live with that ( I did not mind the popping anyway :lol: )

I just looked at the powercommander site. It shows a map for no cat, stock pipes...... jardines w/cat,etc. Didn't see tors and no cat.
Anyone out there with the 1 or 2 stock pipe setup like to offer what they've discovered?

Tuneboy lets you do all the same stuff the PCIII does and more. You just gotta know how to change things - for both PCIII and Tuneboy. Neither product will help you if you don't know what to do with it.

As far as, Classic tunes go, only Triumph engineers can say why they made different tunes for the Classics. If the engines and exhaust on the Classics are exactly the same as other Rockets, which they should be, then there isn't any reason for different tunes except to give them a different behavior. For the Classics, Triumph felt they should be restricted further in top speed (120 MPH) and they changed the low throttle maps, most likely to smoothen the boulevard parade cruise - not sure really.

As far as why can't Triumph's tunes eliminate popping and backfiring for everyone is because you can't have one perfect tune for everybody in the world - too many environmental variables change how a bike runs. Triumph chose to generalize the tune and make it richer than optimum to play things safe. That's about it.

Isn't the backfiring a result of a too lean condition. If Triumph makes their tunes richer than optimum you'd think they'd never backfire. Why would a code in the Pow. Com. that's set up for specific pipes,etc. get rid of the backfire? I don't look forward to once again buying a powercommander and doing the dyno .

Like Rude Dog said - I got the popping on decel, but doesn't bother me at all . . . long as she keeps running as good as she is

DC

Well one more night under the bike! Fitted two stock pipes back on last night and of course the third had a bad gasket so I spent too long trying to salvage another gasket from the tors. Just wrecked 2 more. Salvaged the final available one tonight and then couldn't get the pipe on for almost an hour (something IS goofy with that used cat replacement). Was virtually impossible to line up both muffler bolts.
Started it up. Sounds almost identical to tors with cat box.
BUT: what little popping and farting there was , was minor. Also might sound crazy, but I felt like I had previously lost some of the pep in my throttle and it was back. Could be the fact I couldn't hear the pipes blaring out how hard the engine was actually working.
Anyone know of any aftermarket pipes that are in between the tors and stock, volume-wise let me know. Especially if they somehow give me a sound at least as good as my dads 88 olds with dual glasspaks back in the late 50's! Lookin' for smooth rumble, not just volume.

my 2005 R3 is completely stock. i do get some popping on deceleration, but its mild, and only at the lower rpms, with the trottle closed.

Back