Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
My oil cap jettisoned at some point this morning on my spirited ride into work. This brings up a couple of questions/thoughts...

-While waiting on a replacement to get here from Pinwall Cycle, I was wondering if there might be a commonly available automobile plug that might work in the meantime. I ride nearly everyday to work, so a temporary solution would be really good news right now. This could also be pretty handy information for those of us who do long distance riding.

-I've heard of people putting a small set screw in the oil cap to help keep them from going missing and I'll probably do that when the new/used one comes in.

-The Why? Could be pressure building up. I'd like to hear others who have "improved" on the engineers' design to up the HP. Does this necessarily point to a problem (rings) or is it just common to those of us with modified engines? My theory (hope) is that I've waited too long to clean the filter on the vent hose, which prevented the pressure from escaping the crankcase. I'm using a small K&N filter that definitely gets oily over time.

As for the rings, I plan to change the plugs soon and will do a compression test, but hoping that my dirty vent filter is the culprit. That, or the fact that the bike is a 2011 with 77,000 miles on it and that cap just finally lost it's ability to seal tightly.

@Dr.D once told me his mechanic designed some sort of catch can system for the vented oil and I'd like to hear more about that and any other ideas out there.

Hey guy
i was thinking that i have seen rubber freeze plugs that u push in with a nut that u tighten up.
dont tighten up to much. if it is too much pressure and u seal it it might cause valve cover seal to pop out. after u clean filter put the freeze plug loose and give the rocket a good rev
anyway i tried a Dorman brass freeze plug # 565-025 and it fits to the little ridge. hth

My oil cap jettisoned at some point this morning on my spirited ride into work. This brings up a couple of questions/thoughts...

-While waiting on a replacement to get here from Pinwall Cycle, I was wondering if there might be a commonly available automobile plug that might work in the meantime. I ride nearly everyday to work, so a temporary solution would be really good news right now. This could also be pretty handy information for those of us who do long distance riding.

-I've heard of people putting a small set screw in the oil cap to help keep them from going missing and I'll probably do that when the new/used one comes in.

-The Why? Could be pressure building up. I'd like to hear others who have "improved" on the engineers' design to up the HP. Does this necessarily point to a problem (rings) or is it just common to those of us with modified engines? My theory (hope) is that I've waited too long to clean the filter on the vent hose, which prevented the pressure from escaping the crankcase. I'm using a small K&N filter that definitely gets oily over time.

As for the rings, I plan to change the plugs soon and will do a compression test, but hoping that my dirty vent filter is the culprit. That, or the fact that the bike is a 2011 with 77,000 miles on it and that cap just finally lost it's ability to seal tightly.

@Dr.D once told me his mechanic designed some sort of catch can system for the vented oil and I'd like to hear more about that and any other ideas out there.
I think the catch can is under the seat where the old air cleaner was.

Back to why, how does the breather tube look? I hate to even say it but if the crankcase pressures are high enough to blow off cap then the rings not sealing correctly. A leakdown test and a compression test could rule out the worst case scenario, of a ring set not sealing correctly. Gotta check id think especially on a high output bike. My oil breather section stays very clean, no oil comes out that breather tube. Hope its something like a wore out cap. Good luck bud (im assuming that crankcase filter/breather is not clogged to allow vapor out of crankcase)

Last edited:
its got to be the wee filter is dirty ...the original breather is in the bottom of the air cleaner box which has a tube down to the crankcase..if this blocked you would lose the oil filler cap due to pressure build up...same thing different filter now...

Back