its got to be the wee filter is dirty ...the original breather is in the bottom of the air cleaner box which has a tube down to the crankcase..if this blocked you would lose the oil filler cap due to pressure build up...same thing different filter now...
Yes, please....

Need another favor, please. I ordered a new cap from Hermy's (delivery date unknown) and one like @wjb recommended from Amazon (here tomorrow). Using modified expansion plug as recommended by @TURBO200R4 for now. Could someone please measure the dipstick, including low/high marks from top lip of filler opening? I don't think I lost much oil, but would like to use a makeshift measure from a zip tie to check.

Are you saying that hasnt been checked?
Not yet- I have multiple problems going on here at home all at once. I know it will be oily- always is when I check it, so that's a given. I just bought a house and with the move and new house related projects the K&N cleanings have probably gone longer than usual. I'm not riding it but plan to tomorrow.
I think the cap came off when I briefly hit 100 on an empty stretch. I am puzzled that you don't have any oil from your vent hose, but @Dr.D and I do. I think it was that way before the rebuild, since I went with K&Ns. Maybe Dr. D just gets a drop or two (?). It's never been enough to cause any real change in oil level, but enough on my bike to oil up around where the filter sits (near the old air box), enough to make a small mess.

Not yet- I have multiple problems going on here at home all at once. I know it will be oily- always is when I check it, so that's a given. I just bought a house and with the move and new house related projects the K&N cleanings have probably gone longer than usual. I'm not riding it but plan to tomorrow.
I think the cap came off when I briefly hit 100 on an empty stretch. I am puzzled that you don't have any oil from your vent hose, but @Dr.D and I do. I think it was that way before the rebuild, since I went with K&Ns. Maybe Dr. D just gets a drop or two (?). It's never been enough to cause any real change in oil level, but enough on my bike to oil up around where the filter sits (near the old air box), enough to make a small mess.
I hope its just a clogged filter that wont allow the fumes to exit. Ring seal is probably one of the most important pieces of making power, and loosing it, blow by can happen when rings arnt perfect, Rob built my motor and the static compression is quite high but i get no blowby and on tear down that chamber for crankcase exhaust is like a maze and its perfectly clean when i opened it up. Also not all rings are seated equally when seating rings, Hopefully you just have a clogged filter from those gasses w/oil residue in it. If a new filter , a new oil cap, does not fix it, a leakdown test will show problem with a ring or rings holding cylinder pressure. Hopefully a crankcase filter will do it and youre back to hooning it. 100 on a strait, hooligan😂😎

Last edited:
These are my ring gap notes. Im gonna go back and look at your thread for your numbers I remember you doing them. Hopefully though its not this, im just sharing info

Attachments

• 50951FD8-8127-4E0C-8924-95A19425816F.png
    50951FD8-8127-4E0C-8924-95A19425816F.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 7
Hang in there bud, sounds like youre dealing with lifes blows pretty good, but i know you take it hard when your baby has a hiccup😬 pullin for you Blaine, you got this whatever it is. Warrior

U might make an oil checker by driving a nail through a block of wood probably would not matter how long the upper mark is the important one.
I have never done this but u might take a fuel tester gauge (1 to 14 ?)pounds and adapt to breatherr hose to measure blow by.

I got one of these from Amazon. It fits well and seems to read the temp accurately.

Chrome Shorty Style Oil Tank Dipstick with Oil Temperature Gauge - Black Gauge Face - Fits 1979-2003 Harley Sportster XL and 1984-1999 Harley Softail Models - Replaces HD Part# 62668-87T (40-0361)​

Funny, I just found one of those I bought years ago, still in the package, misplaced and forgot I ever bought it

Back