Great!! I'd gotten an email from D&D last week saying they anticipated having it on the market in 45 days or less.

The increases seem in line with what I recall reading somewhere about Triumph's Accessory pipes and tune. Although the numbers themselves sure do look a bit funky.

I emailed D&D to inquire about the dyno numbers. According to their engineer, their numbers are accurate and attributes the differences as follows:

Triumph uses DIN correction factors which is a European standard and differs from the SAE corrections used in the US. I have seen Dyno-Jet numbers in the mid 80's for the same motorcycle. The thing to remember is that most dynos read a little different (This is because of dyno locations, drum weight differences, type of eddy brake being used, type of fuel in the bike, etc.

Also of interest, D&D retains the catalytic converters in their pipes. It was my understanding that the Triumph Accessory mufflers deleted the cats. Curious that D&D states that their pipes require the Triumph Accessory muffler tune and also recommend a K&N air filter. I guess you have to assume they feel they achieved a comparable increase in flow with their mufflers equal to Triumph's removal of the cats in their Accessory mufflers.

Triumph's numbers are at the crank, those are SAE at the rear wheel. Triumph specs the standard Rocket at 140hp/145/ftlbs at the crank. They regularly dyno completely stock in 120's. However, Triumph claims 150 ft/lbs for the Touring but they have 113 after the exhaust is fitted? That is a large drop attributed to driving train.

I am surprised their pipes have cat elements in them. If the Touring tunes are like the standard Rocket tunes, the aftermarket tunes actually restrict power because they rely on the secondary throttle plates to restrict more air flow to increase fueling.

You guys need Tuneboy to come through in a bad way. Do the Touring models have a ODBIII plug?

Triumph's numbers are at the crank, those are SAE at the rear wheel. Triumph specs the standard Rocket at 140hp/145/ftlbs at the crank. They regularly dyno completely stock in 120's. However, Triumph claims 150 ft/lbs for the Touring but they have 113 after the exhaust is fitted? That is a large drop attributed to driving train.

I am surprised their pipes have cat elements in them. If the Touring tunes are like the standard Rocket tunes, the aftermarket tunes actually restrict power because they rely on the secondary throttle plates to restrict more air flow to increase fueling.

You guys need Tuneboy to come through in a bad way. Do the Touring models have a ODBIII plug?

If you explain to this Accountant :D where the OD thing-ma-jiggy is, I'll be happy to look at my R3T tonight and get back with you.

Exactly right. I quoted those numbers to the D&D guys and noted that an approximate 35% driveline loss didn't make sense. As I quoted earlier, they attributed it to other factors.

And yes the R3T has an OBD2 connector. I have a Tuneboy and from an email I received this morning, Wayne is working on the tunes for the R3T right now. He expects to have them in a few days.

I've sent an email to Raask trying to find out if they retain the cats in their pipes as well. It is very surprising to me that the D&D's retain the cats as they must be in the muffler housing. From another email from D&D:

The catalyst is between the headpipe and the mufflers. It is possible to remove it but due to increased regulations in some parts of the country we chose to leave them intact.

By 'between the headpipe and the mufflers' I can only assume they mean in the space in the muffler housing immediately behind where they connect. There is a small box directly behind the headers that both mufflers connect to. I thought that was the cat until I removed my headers to have them Jet Hot coated. Out of curiosity I probed the box with a bent up coat hanger, the box is hollow.

Pestered D&D about the cat issue. As it turns out, their pipes do not have the cats installed.

Also got a reply from Raask. Their pipes are also made without the cats. The Raask website now has more pictures of the R3T and the owner seems very responsive to questions.

Back