My theory is, if they are not rattling, leave 'em
The problem is, they don't always rattle. Sometimes the clearance tightens up to the point that the valves don't close resulting in burnt valves and seats. A few years ago one member posted that he ruined the head on his 2300 because he never adjusted the valves. He saved a lot of money initially but.....

There's a big difference between 'checking' and 'adjusting' the valves.

The problem is, they don't always rattle. Sometimes the clearance tightens up to the point that the valves don't close resulting in burnt valves and seats. A few years ago one member posted that he ruined the head on his 2300 because he never adjusted the valves. He saved a lot of money initially but.....

There's a big difference between 'checking' and 'adjusting' the valves.

Spot on!

I'm almost at 29K on my '14 (too many depolyments caused not enough riding time...) and I"ve been wondering. No strange sounds and she's running as strong as ever. My plan was 30K miles... Hmmmm....
-MIG
Stick with your plan.
Tis not a difficult DIY.

Stick with your plan.
Tis not a difficult DIY.
I've done a lot of DIY over the years (two and four wheels), but I'll have to look deeper to see if I could do this. I'm less concerned about the measurement check (though tearing my girl down has its risks) and more concerned with addressing an out of tolerance condition. I appreciate the vote of confidence though!
-MIG

Back