a couple of question about my R3 fuel overflow

georgia

.060 Over
when I dropped my bike recently, while inspecting my body on the pavement and , as most bike riders, after a brief check that I could wiggle my toes and my fingers and they we're all still attached, I looked over a my bike now painfully on its' left side. First thing I saw was gas dribbling onto the pavement. I suspected the overflow was the culprit but I wondered... Does anyone know if there is, in fact, a fuel cutoff system on an impact, and does anyone have any ideas for a way to keep the fuel overflow from dribbling when the bike is laid down. The ended up with minor cosmetic damage only and is all back and pretty again. But It seems to me that there is a nasty potential for a fire in a lay down if the overflow starts to empty onto a hot exhaust.... While everyone was huddling around me on the ground, I was yelling at them to pick my **** bike up and put it back on its' kickstand...

Side Observation: Why do most civilians get stupid during an accident. I had to direct rescue ops and get 2 people to direct traffic around my bike and my body, while laying on the pavement until the police arrived ( luckily in a matter of a minute or 2) .. meanwhile everyone is standing around acting like deer in the headlights... asking me if i'm ok but doing nothing to direct traffic, actually help me, or stop a potential bad gas leak...

anyway, wondering if there is a good way to stop a fuel leak via the overflow if the bike is dropped, or is it just the way it is.

cheers
geo

I laid mine on it side to install DynaBeads in the rear tire (PITA) and got the same results, it is flowing thru the vent tube I believe and not over flow. I removed the charcoal canister from my rocket (for some strange reason I ended up with a California bike in Michigan) otherwise the it would have caught the spill. Most bikes have a tip over valve that stops fuel to the engine but not many have a valve on the vent. It looked to me as if the leak slowed after it had created sufficient vaccume in the tank. Mine was rather full so it didn't leak much. If you tank was lower it would leak more..
Just my observation... Subject to further debate ;)

When I dropped mine a couple of years ago in a MSF coarse :( doing the quick S turn the instructor ran over to hit the kill switch. I got right up and helped get the bike up and noticed a puddle of gas had come out of the overflow tube. A big potential problem in the right circumstances. I must have hit the kill switch on my total cause I didn't hear the bike running as I came to checking my busted bod but it was 50yds away and never saw it again.:mad:

interestingly enough, my rocket was not running when I looked over just a few seconds after impact. So, it either stalled or I hit the cutoff switch by accident, or it just stopped for some other reason.

Thanks for the insight. I guess its just the way things are...

cheers
geo

tip over

hi georgia,

rockets are equipped with a timed tip over switch for the very reasons you've cited. It's nice to know the **** thing does work. I'm just a little bothered that a situation like yours is the proof of fact. Be well soon...

greg

It is kinda funny how people not involved in the accident act. I was witness to a guy on a Harley laying his bike down after the car in front of him stopped short. The rider was Ok and got up and picked up his machine to move it over to the side of the road. As what happen to you, while the bike was on its' side some fuel leaked out and you could smell it. Sooo, everybody is standing around waiting for the police to arrive when somebody comments about the smell when all of a sudden this one guy gets a case of the dramas and yells "Eveybody run, I think it gonna blow!!" Eveybody panics and runs including the guy who made the comment the only people left there was me and the guy who crashed and all I could do is stand there and laugh my ass off. Now keep in mind there is no fire or sparks or anything like that, just the oder of gas. :)

Last edited:
I've dropped my bike twice, both times when it was stopped. Once, after wine tasting all night, I stopped at a light to turn right. Looked left, no traffic. Starting to turn, leaned over at 2 mph, see a car coming on the left, stop short, notice the bike is leaned over and practically on the ground and the curb on the right is sloping down. Bike goes down slowly and gently, but to my horror, and I step off and away. I'm going, this is a disaster, something must be crushed. Well, I have leather bags on the back and engine guards up front.. The wheels are facing up and the top of the windshield is touching the pavement. I go "f(*k", this is too embarrassing. So I lift the freaking bike without injuring myself - the wrong way, of course. Nothing like alcohol-induced adrenalin. The top of the windshield had a little scratch as did the right mirror and engine guard. The right brake lever was a little bent but I fixed it with vice grips and pliers.

Second time, I'm in a parking lot trying to back peddle up hill into a parking space. Suddenly, some yo yo comes speeding up on my right. I see him and freak out and my foot slips and the bike floats down on its right side. Again, the bag cushions the fall. However, this time, I am not soused and am totally pissed. I push the bike upright in a rage using the guaranteed-to-injure method, again. This time, I f(*k my back big time. Both sacroiliac joints are out of joint. I manage to get back to work and drive home at the end of the day but was crippled for a few weeks. That's what they make Vicodin for. Vicodin should be Rocket accessory.

that sucks... personally i'm on oxycodone... wow, deadly stuff. when it comes to the pain.. after taking this stuff, I can't tell if the pain is down or if I just plain don't care anymore... ;)

I actually put my rocket up for the winter so I wouldn't be tempted to be stupid and ride before my ankle heals... I can just see my self riding along and stopping, putting down my left foot and "SNAP"... so i'm going to wait to ride for a while even though I want to get on it now..

cheers
geo

Back