A Christmas Card from Triumph

Toystoretom

Living Legend
I opened my mailbox today and in it was a little envelope from Triumph, and I was sure it was a nice little corporate Christmas card. When I got in the house and opened it I was surprised to find a slick little brochure entitled "Modern Classics" that is trying to push the entire line of Bonnies. Its full of pics with some very trendy models hanging all over every kind of Bonneville imagineable.

I'm not sure I could have a Bonnie... even as a second bike, but that's just me. I'd probably do a 675, just because of the snarl. I guess Triumph would like me to buy myself a Christmas present, a last minute stocking stuffer :D.

Anyone else get this slick little booklet?

I almost forgot... they have a new styling excercise called the "Sixty8", a retro styled bike. It lists a website, http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/ but when I tried it it just redirected to the normal Triumph website. In fact... it just redirected in the URL I just posted... the website listed is "www.Triumphsixty8.com"

Last edited:
Empty Handed

Heck....... I don't even get all my Torque mags but I still get tons of junk mail addressed to my Ex and that split was over 13 years ago. Talk about slow data base software.

Local dealer organized an open house last Saturday to launch the Sixty8 campaign. Attendance was low, although the weather was clement. It seems that current Bonneville owners do not relate to the late sixties at all, let alone to what Triumph portrays as bolt-on symbols of those years. I personally found most of the sixty8 stuff to be garish... and pathetically out of sync with the Bonnie's classic look . Anyway... we had snacks and some local white one:p . I met a couple of truly interesting guys (in their mid 30's) who are trying to customize their Thruxton's so that they look like true 68-vintage mounts: low clip-ons, swept-back pipes with either Gold Star or Norton Commando cans, aluminium guards and rims, Norton Manx-inspired paint jobs, Ace Café and Union Jack stickers, smallish vintage lights, etc.

And claims of 85 HP at the rear wheel after the third glass of wine :)

Maybe, instead of (or in addition to-) that sixty8 gadgetry, Triumph should explore the replica avenue. What dayya say?

Jamie

All Triumph has to do is watch what some of these guys are building and copy it, just pick out the coolest stuff. The Sixty8 has some gaudy stuff like drilled out engine covers. This is the first I've heard of it.

I'm with Jamie, I like the replica looking stuff. I've seen some pretty cool looking Thruxtons, I wouldn't mind one of those if my wrists could stand it.

Toystoretom said:
All Triumph has to do is watch what some of these guys are building and copy it, just pick out the coolest stuff. The Sixty8 has some gaudy stuff like drilled out engine covers. This is the first I've heard of it.

I'm with Jamie, I like the replica looking stuff. I've seen some pretty cool looking Thruxtons, I wouldn't mind one of those if my wrists could stand it.

I'm not sure this "Sixty8" approach to retro-ing your ride will take off or not. I assume when Tomo and Jamie "like the replica looking stuff", you are referring to the "Scrambler" approach? I too like the Scrambler and sales are brisk enough to keep the line going. I'm glad however, Triumph isn't just sitting around doing nothing cuz you won't "hit upon" the next trend that way.

They must of felt sorry for me with my recient tranny repair, so they sent me one of those brochures so i might buy something else to wreck and have to buy more parts! :D
I do however, like those Scramblers. There's just something about that old style, high pipe look that i like. Bigern

Me Too

I also got it. I thought it was because I used to own a T-100, (traded on the R/3.) Sometimes I miss that little knock around bike. It was pretty quick and alot more reliable and comfortable than my vintage ones. I do like the look of the Scrambler because it reminds me of the old Honda 305 and 450 scramblers. Still may put one in the garage if the wife doesn't kill me and the price is right.

Back