ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I have a 2015 Rocket III Touring. I wanted an emblem for the side covers that says "2300 CC." They used to have an emblem on some early models but I couldn't find one for sale. I've read posts where others have wanted such an emblem too. I can't count the number of times people have asked me what size the engine is and they have a look of total disbelief when I tell them. This is especially true with HD riders who assume their engines.must be bigger. (Yeah, I know. This is an ego thing. ;-)

Anyway, I checked out chrome lettering and found something I really like. There are many online seller that sell automotive-grade lettering and emblems but I ended up with letters from this place because they had the leter size I wanted.

Custom Emblems, Chrome Emblems and Auto Badges | EmblemArt | No Minimum Order

I ordered their domed small letters that are .81" high. If you decide to do this, be careful what size you order. Even a slight difference in letter height can make a huge difference in the overall size of of the letter string when it's mounted. Even the 1" high letters were too big. 1.2" is another common size and it was WAY too big but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't done the following: I copied the letter string from the website and and sized them in Photoshop so they printed out at life size to see how they would look on the cases. Unfortunately, the above website's tool that shows you how they will look, spaces them in blocks unlike some websites that show you exactly how they will look. No problem, though. I just printed them out and then cut and taped them together in the spacing I wanted and then held it up against the cases to find where I wanted to mount them. Then I blocked out a rectangular strip on the side cases to help align them when I stuck them on. Be sure to clean that area with alcohol before mounting them. Also, be sure that if you put them on the cases that you don't put them so they will be covered by the passenger footrests when they are up.

Anyway, I'm really happy with how they came out. I like them better than the original emblem that early Rockets had. They may even wipe the smirk of some HD riders faces. ;-) (BTW, I've owned HDs and I like them.)

Attachments

• Cases1.jpg
    Cases1.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 10
Thanks, Idaho. It actually looks nicer than it does in the picture and I like it a lot more than the badge that Triumph used to put on some older Rockets. I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

BTW, I should have mentioned this but I assumed anyone who may be interested in doing this: The letters are stick-on. They are automotive grade just like the vast majority of emblems on cars these days. You can also find different fonts from various vendors but this was the only one I found with numbers the size that I thought would look good.

The font looks like the one Volkswagen uses on some of their models (not the latest ones) here in Europe. Always looks nice. I used to drive a Volkswagen.

There were a couple other fonts that I found that I preferred but they didn't come in the size I needed but after mounting these letters, I really like the font.

I mentioned sizing: I was really surprised at how a slight difference in letter height and/or font made a BIG difference in the overall size of the string. If I hadn't done a clipped them from the seller's site and sized them to actual size and then printed them out and spaced them on paper, I would have bought a string of characters that would have been WAY too big. I really like the way it turned out and the picture doesn't do it justice. I can't wait to see them on the bike which is put up for the winter and all covered up and surrounded by so much stuff that it's hard to even access the covers, let alone take a picture of them on the bike.

One more thing: The letters are slightly domed which turns out to be really nice because the their slight curvature matches that of the cases. They look like they were meant to be there from the factory. That doesn't show up in the pictures.

I'd like the exact thing you have posted here. I got the .81 height. What other info do I need to get the same results? I.e. font, spacing, etc.

I'd like the exact thing you have posted here. I got the .81 height. What other info do I need to get the same results? I.e. font, spacing, etc.

Here's what I did: I took the covers off. It was winter and I couldn't really do this with them on anyway because of all the junk I had around the bike while it was stored for the winter. But, before taking them off, I made a note of how high the letters should be to avoid being covered by the passenger footrests. I think I marked one with tape. I also marked with tape where I wanted the letters to start on the left hand side. Then I made a window out of cardboard that was slightly taller than the letters. I made them extra long because I didn't know how much space the letters would take up lengthwise. Using the bottom of the windows as reference, I stuck each letter on, spacing them by eye.

Of course, you could just mark out a window on the cases with masking tape but the bottom edge of the opening in the cardboard window acted like a ledge so there was no chance of a mistake keeping them in a perfect line along the bottom.

If it had been summer, I probably would have done it more simply but I have too much time on my hands in the winter. :) But it really didn't take much time anyway. I think it took me about 20 minutes for the whole procedure. Thirty minutes at most.

It's funny how I'm not getting all the questions about what size my engine is now. Now someone knows when they look at the bike. It's also funny to see the confused looks on HD owners' faces now. :)

BTW, I just noticed that the last "C" in the top picture (above) looks like it's not lined up correctly. Actually, it is. That's some kind of distortion in the picture probably because of the angle I shot it.

As for spacing: Before I started, I thought I would work out some way to keep the spacing consistent but once I got started, it was extremely easy to just do it by eye. There was no need to make things complicated. I placed the front spacing just so it looked good to my eye but I measured it and made sure both sides started in the same place. I also measured up from the pin striping to make sure the height of the windows were identical. If I remember correctly, I marked them with masking tape and aligned the cardboard window to that tape. Then I taped the window down so it wouldn't move.

Last edited:
So you purchased these as individual letters? They did not come in a strip ready to apply all at once?

I'm going to try to ask my question from the previous post in a different way.

If I want this same exact emblem for my bike, exactly what information do I need to give that company so that they will send me exactly the same emblem that you have on your bike?

Back