2020 Rocket 3 TFC owner's manual out now

The final drive ratio on a standard 2005 Rocket is 2.846:1 just like the new one.
20191123_202428.jpg

Oh yes thanks for that, was wondering why I couldn't see it anywhere. Filling that in also highlighted the balls i made of the wheel circumference. Updated now.
Looks like the torsional damper (assuming it has one that is geared... it might not be geared just straight in which case the ratio of about 1:1 makes sense) in the new bike is not far off the same ratio as old, in fact it might be the same, again hard to tell with no exact data wrt engine rpm at X speed to verify.

Last edited:
Interesting! Your calculated red figures show that it will run up against a 138mph rev limiter in 4th. gear. Hmmmphh.......

Yes. Also interesting that if you were to stroke the 2.3L out to a 2.5, raise rev limit to 7000 to match the new bike too, and cam it appropriately, you would be making the same or more power and tq than the new engine I reckon.
Also top speeds in 1st and respective top gears would be similar.
Makes you wonder why they reinvented the engine. All for weight saving?

Also the transmission, we knew that could do with being reinvented, and they put in the 6th gear everyone wants, but then failed completely to hit the reason everyone wants it - lower cruising rpm.

Yes the helical cuts are an improvement imo, but if the old bike's 5 gears did the same thing as the new bike's 6, then why not just leave it at 5 cogs and make them wider to fill the space the 6 would have used.
With this new 6 speed trans, you just have more shifting to do.

Looks and sounds extremely fast. I will never get to do anything that resembles that on a test ride. The typical test rides at A&S Powersports are at 35 mph for a one mile distance with an employee leading the way. It's beyond stupid. I'll hang back and ride a wheelie into their lot and will immediately get asked to leave. If I buy the Rocket all will be forgiven.

When I test rode a K1600GTL, when we got back, the salesman mentioned "and that was only in rain mode". I laughed and said it ain't now, I figured out how to change that in the first half mile.

Back