2007 Rocket III sudden illness has me baffled? Help keep my money out of stealerships pockets.

Ok, those 30 ampere wires were fixed, they are not coming loose any longer, perfectly good connection with the fuses now. Gauges have now gone back to reading wrong. Seems that simply removing the power from the bike for a few minutes seems to help. But once power is restored for a few minutes, gauges screw up again? What could be causing this??

I switched the ignition on and off a few times, Each time the gauges done their sweep they got nearer the correct setting until they zeroed .

I am seriously amazed that after all these years, that this issue with my gauges seems to be rare, only one other post came close to describing the same issue and even it had no mention of the motor gasping for life trying to run. A month ago, all was fine, bike was started in my garage, ran for 30 minutes, then shut off and battery tender put back on. Try to crank it last week, motor popping, backfiring, gasping, only runs when I feather the throttle from idle to wide open, gauges also messed up. I removed the battery for a day to fix the fuse holder, plugged everything back in and all gauges reset to zero after sweep, bike cranked up and seemed to run correct for 2 seconds, then back to crap and guages did not zero again.

Have you stripped the bike to examine the wiring harness?
If nothing changed or was done to bike since it ran fine a month ago, I wonder while it sat there unused would a mouse have chewed some wires and now it runs like crap including instruments all over the place

When you mentioned fuel spraying around in the tank ... did you find out what was causing this? If it is a bad hose near the fuel pump then you're not getting the correct fuel pressure at the injectors. Even if it was very low on gas in the tank I doubt it would "spray" around but I've never ran mine that low so wouldn't know for sure. This fuel spraying still has me paranoid that something isn't right...lol
R-iii-R Turbo might have a point. Prop the tank up and have a look under there. Look around at the wiring and the hoses going to the MAP sensor. Even if there wasn't a mouse just check connections and so forth...lol

Re the fuel spraying thing, I'm wondering is it just the pressure regulator bleed dump?

Hard to see here in this vid as the tank is full, you can just about see the ripples from flow, but jimbeam did say his tank was nearly empty, so the fuel level would be below the reg dump and it might look like spraying about

mully95
R-III-R Turbo
scot in exile

Before I completely drained the tank for removal, I filmed the spray I was concerned about.

Yeah that's not right. Pressure regulator leaking badly.
The two halves of it are bolted together, it might be just a loose bolt.
There is also an o-ring inside, might have failed.

20160326_191618.jpg

20160326_191845.jpg

20160326_202056.jpg
20160326_202137.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Jimbeamrye, post: 707837, member: 344"

Before I completely drained the tank for removal, I filmed the spray I was concerned about[/QUOTE]

Yep that's going to be a issue. Just like RIIIR Turbo said pressure regulator.... leaking like a screen door on a submarine.

Ok, I pulled the fuel pump assembly out of the tank. I could not believe what I saw!!!!! Most all the rubber had melted into blobs of hard plastic? There is light powder corrosion all over the parts. The fuel gauge sending unit was stuck in place, when I began to loosen it up, metal parts popped out..ruined now. The rubber hoses look like acid has attacked them. Needless to say I need a whole new assembly, or at least the parts that got ruined. Does anyone have an assembly to sell from a wrecked bike by chance? The red circles, that is what was left of the "STAR" rubber piece that went around the pump.
FUEL PUMP2.jpg
FUEL PUMP.jpg

Last edited:
Back