2007 Rocket III sudden illness has me baffled? Help keep my money out of stealerships pockets.

Jimbeamrye

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
Hello, for the past couple years I haven't been riding as much due to a leaking front fork seal. I have been cranking her up regularly and/or riding up and down the local road on short trips. Now the FIRST time ever, I had trouble cranking her up, and when it did, it was a struggle to keep the motor running(motor would start to rev, but sputter back down). I tried cranking it and letting it idle, motor just fades from 1000 rpm down to stall. I thought I smelled bad gas, so since the tank was close to empty, I put a gallon of fresh fuel inside, but nothing changed. Motor will not idle and will die as soon as you try to move in 1st, it's completely un-rideable.
Maybe this is a strange coincidence, but I noticed that both my speedometer and my tachometer gauges are not going back down to zero after the initial sweep. I pulled the battery cables off for awhile, no change on the gauges. I looked in the gas tank, is it normal to see fuel spraying in there for 2 seconds when the pump primes up? Any ideas fellas what I can try, throw them at me before the stealerlship has to get involved. My girlfriend really wants back on the bike for a real ride, see pic. I wish!! Thanks in advance!
Rocket girls2.jpg

Rocket girls.jpg

I would first raise the tank and crimp the leads. Then I would change the vacuum lines make sure to change the plugs on the carburetor too. It really sounds like your leads needing crimped.

There should not be any fuel spraying inside the tank. You must have a hose leak at the pump or a bad pump. You most likely are having low fuel pressure since you're loosing pressure inside the tank. Either that or you don't have enough fuel in the tank to cover the pump pick up. Always have enough fuel in tank to cover the pump.. it's what keeps it cool.

Motorcycle batteries don't last long even if they are left hooked to a trickle charger. With the bike having almost a car engine the battery better be in good health. This might be the problem since the ECU isn't getting enough juice but I doubt it... just a guess. There is a stepper motor that controls idle and other characteristics to keep the engine running it requires a voltage as well. Now getting low voltage out of the way.
Look UNDER the fuse panel and make sure all the wires connectors are pushed up inside the fuse panel. I had the main fuse lead not making contact with the 30 amp fuse since it had popped out of the plastic fuse panel and I was having similar weird clock/speedo sweeps. One of the connectors was coming loose out of the fuse panel and not making contact with the fuse another words.

Last edited:
I would first raise the tank and crimp the leads. Then I would change the vacuum lines make sure to change the plugs on the carburetor too. It really sounds like your leads needing crimped.
Slip of the typing appendages I think. Must have been distracted by something or you were thinking of the BSA Rocket when you mentioned carburetor.

There should not be any fuel spraying inside the tank. You must have a hose leak at the pump or a bad pump. You most likely are having low fuel pressure since you're loosing pressure inside the tank. Either that or you don't have enough fuel in the tank to cover the pump pick up. Always have enough fuel in tank to cover the pump.. it's what keeps it cool.

Motorcycle batteries don't last long even if they are left hooked to a trickle charger. With the bike having almost a car engine the battery better be in good health. This might be the problem since the ECU isn't getting enough juice but I doubt it... just a guess. There is a stepper motor that controls idle and other characteristics to keep the engine running it requires a voltage as well. Now getting low voltage out of the way.
Look UNDER the fuse panel and make sure all the wires connectors are pushed up inside the fuse panel. I had the main fuse lead not making contact with the 30 amp fuse since it had popped out of the plastic fuse panel and I was having similar weird clock/speedo sweeps. One of the connectors was coming loose out of the fuse panel and making contact with the fuse another words.
Thank you, I now have vac hoses and your ideas to check this weekend. Appreciate it.

+1 with MULLY ,i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 08 Classic. 30 amp fuse
I found the loose connection, you both were right! The wires are slipping out of fuse holder. Quick question, Is there anything to manipulate to have those wires STAY in the correct place? I don't see the normal tiny clips that would hold wires in connectors?

OK making some progress! Like Mully said, the fuse holder 30 amp spots are weak, tiny plastic clips worthless with age, and they were falling out. So I put the wires in place, held them, then squirted some clear adhesive into the two chambers which will dry holding the wires in place. I'll check tomorrow after complete drying takes place. I also I drained all the gas back out of the tank(it was less than a gallon), it too smelled bad. I will put another fresh batch of petrol inside, but this time about two or three gallons.

OK making some progress! Like Mully said, the fuse holder 30 amp spots are weak, tiny plastic clips worthless with age, and they were falling out. So I put the wires in place, held them, then squirted some clear adhesive into the two chambers which will dry holding the wires in place. I'll check tomorrow after complete drying takes place. I also I drained all the gas back out of the tank(it was less than a gallon), it too smelled bad. I will put another fresh batch of petrol inside, but this time about two or three gallons.
After awhile I still had the problem of the connectors not holding in the fuse panel. I installed a 30amp inline fuse holder and by passed the fuse panel altogether. Never had that problem again...lol Glad you're making some head way.

Back