Struggling to take the oil pan off as we speak. This will definitely be my next step thanks for the great tips everyone

Struggling to take the oil pan off as we speak. This will definitely be my next step thanks for the great tips everyone
If by struggling you mean it seams to be stuvk. I must say most people miss a couple bolts just a couple inches inside of the kick stsnd area they are not in what you would figure as the outer bolt patern. Let me get on my computer and I'll see if I can post the only two possible sump pans you could have
Bear witj me I've been out riding all day.

If by struggling you mean it seams to be stuvk. I must say most people miss a couple bolts just a couple inches inside of the kick stsnd area they are not in what you would figure as the outer bolt patern. Let me get on my computer and I'll see if I can post the only two possible sump pans you could have
Bear witj me I've been out riding all day.
Just got her off, thanks the the tip. Posting pictures now. Lots of fine metals shavings and a couple chunkier ones. Bear in mind this is after they supposedly drained and cleaned up the pan

Attachments

• 15223604754511347140113.jpg
    15223604754511347140113.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 15223604982552125251078.jpg
    15223604982552125251078.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 3
Just got her off, thanks the the tip. Posting pictures now. Lots of fine metals shavings and a couple chunkier ones. Bear in mind this is after they supposedly drained and cleaned up the pan
Ok that's swarf if you loosing a bearing it would look more like the one below

45329_7db1a3d855b43194ed5a79b26dab25cd.jpg

If that picture don't bunch your panties up I have a few more :)
After all you have to break stuff to learn stuff :D

@warp9.9 - forgive me for my ignorance in these matters, but if they had already drained the sump and all 'bits' would they have already removed the evidence of a bearing break up? I follow these posts with interest as mine is an '07 and has not had any mods done, well none that have been registered!

@warp9.9 Exactky as @Grumpy Ole Codger says I'm not sure how much metal was there since most of the metal was removed by the last owners mechanic. This is just what's left that I've seen. It doesn't look bad but since I don't know the extent it leaves a lot to question. @cootertwo there is just over 20k on the bike

@warp9.9 - forgive me for my ignorance in these matters, but if they had already drained the sump and all 'bits' would they have already removed the evidence of a bearing break up? I follow these posts with interest as mine is an '07 and has not had any mods done, well none that have been registered!
ok its not ignorance. I was banking on no one pulling the sump and thus not knowing there were fine screens in each port even the old original pan which had the screens in line and side drains two of them plus the tank drain.
004.JPG

anyway these screens are pretty fine

2011_0217_185532.JPG

2011_0217_185619.JPG

thus you will not see large bits or sign of real catastrophic problems unless you spend 12 bucks for the gasket and drop the sump.
One of the things working against him is his front bearing on the torsional damper shaft is installed backwards thus robbing oil and the goodies it does when running thru moving metal parts :) Now I suppose there is a chance (actually two) that the bearing is in right.
1.) the guy one the assembly line screwed up and got it right
2.) it has already been replaced and they got it right

@warp9.9 - it's a large dose of ignorance here as this is the first bike I've ever tried to do any repairs/mods on myself. I was trying to think logically (wife doubts this is possible) with regards to processing remnants - apologies if I stepped on the toes of those far better acquainted with these motors than me - I managed an oil change so far :notworthy::notworthy:

Back