2005 With High idle issues

I'm one of the people who suffered from low idle / stalling issue early on. That's when I figured out there should be a "base" idle speed as the stepper motor goes to zero in a short time when your "on throttle". Mine was about 450 rpm's. I brought it up to about 650 with the yellow painted idle screw. Completely eliminated the low idle, stalling. Since that time I've had to run my TPS voltage higher.

Fred
I'm trying to mutter thru this tuneecu download program. I think I have some of it figured out and now I'm up to the cable part. Do you have a link to a good source for a cable with a micro adapter that comes with the cable for the usb port by any chance? Also I read your post here it seems like your constantly adjusting yours as the high idle issue seems to return. Wouldn't it just be easier to ignore the stepper all together and throw it under the tank as others have done? Thanks Al

A couple times a year really isn't constantly. I don't think I would like having to hold the throttle open on cold starts so it didn't die, like you do when you remove / disable the stepper. As for the cable, I bought mine a long time ago. I'm sure someone will post how / where to get one now. You should be able to go to tuneecu's site and get the cable info.

I'm one of the people who suffered from low idle / stalling issue early on. That's when I figured out there should be a "base" idle speed as the stepper motor goes to zero in a short time when your "on throttle". Mine was about 450 rpm's. I brought it up to about 650 with the yellow painted idle screw. Completely eliminated the low idle, stalling. Since that time I've had to run my TPS voltage higher.
I often wonder if some of the low/high idle issues are do to the original close throttle position with the stop screw not being set right or consistant. I figure human error can creep in there as it has in some of the other assembled parts. In your case Fred maybe it was closed more then it should have been. Just liek some can be opened more then they should be. Also since there is a tolerance to the TPS voltage setting maybe a combination of the setscrew holding the throttle open more and the voltage being set at .58 could create a higher idle. After talking to Al I am thinking he has a minor hang up some where as he say he can reach down there and barely touch his stepper motor an dthe idle drops back to normal. Anyway I am working with him to check, clean and lubricate a few areas to make sure its not hanging up on him. Heck it could even be a throttle cablke adjustment or maybe lubrcation because its hanging up momentarly on him. I have to find where he can order a cable for TUNE ECU so we can get a good look at whats going on with the sensors and what mapp Triumph has installed in it. Its just been a long time since i ordered my cable and my memory is not as good as it used to be.

I often wonder if some of the low/high idle issues are do to the original close throttle position with the stop screw not being set right or consistant.

There is linkage between the stop screw and the throttle plates. I believe mine had worn to the point that the throttles were going all the way closed. It would shake and gasp for air until the idle stepper could get them open again.

Hello people,not wanting hijack but on the subject of up and down idle why is it that on cold start does my idle go up to 1800/2000 for a few seconds when it's set in the map at 1100 then when the motor is warm it always runs to 1100 as per the map just curious .Charlie.

Thats the one
I think I found the cable on Flee bay can someone look at this link and tell me if it is the right one. I do not want to steer Al wrong.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335943355&icep_item=261121724706

from what it says in description it is the right one it has the correct FTDI chip set which I believe is the critical part to be concerned with

Thats the same cable and seller I got mine from that I have and been using for the last couple of years with no issues :thumbsup:

Update on this issue
I want to thank all that have responded. Thru the kindness of Scott alias Warp 9.9 and his help I think we are on the right track to get this high idle issue on my bike solved. His guidance with tuneecu and his knowledge on the rocket I was able to make some adjustments to my bike and right now the high idle issue has disappeared. I just want to thank Scott and the rest of the posters her for his and there help. We are still doing more work to the bike and I look forward to actually riding the bike instead of it being parked at the dealership all summer. I wish you guys could see the screw I pulled out of the TPS that came from the shop. You literally could not recognize the screw and that it was in fact a torx head screw. I sent a pic to Scott maybe he can post it. Al

Update on this issue
I want to thank all that have responded. Thru the kindness of Scott alias Warp 9.9 and his help I think we are on the right track to get this high idle issue on my bike solved. His guidance with tuneecu and his knowledge on the rocket I was able to make some adjustments to my bike and right now the high idle issue has disappeared. I just want to thank Scott and the rest of the posters her for his and there help. We are still doing more work to the bike and I look forward to actually riding the bike instead of it being parked at the dealership all summer. I wish you guys could see the screw I pulled out of the TPS that came from the shop. You literally could not recognize the screw and that it was in fact a torx head screw. I sent a pic to Scott maybe he can post it. Al

what you mean this screw :D

20141207_181042.jpg

Looks like your dealer higher Tim Taylor and his power drill to install it!!!!!!

Back